Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Read an E-book Week





What a great concept! I love celebrations of reading. I’ve been a bookworm since I could read. I devoured my mom’s collection of books—several Nancy Drew mysteries, Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna. Because we lived out in the country, the Bookmobile came to our school. I took out as many as allowed and couldn’t wait for the Bookmobile to return. One day, the library lady suggested I try Elizabeth Howard’s Peddler’s Girl because it took place in Michigan. I went on to read all of Howard’s exciting adventure stories. In my twenties, I discovered the Gothic novels by Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney, romantic suspense novels by Daphne Du Maurier and Mary Stewart, and Georgette Heyer’s Regencies. Books transported me to a different place and time. They still do.

When I was a stay-at-home-mom with two babies thirteen months apart, I would have gone stir crazy if not for books. That was when I discovered Harlequin romances. I’d always enjoyed stories with a hint of romance. Now I could read an entire book devoted to romance. In the 1980s, romance novels exploded. What selections! Now look at all the sub-genres of romance: contemporary, historical, fantasy, inspirational, regency, romantic suspense, erotica, westerns, and my favorite science fiction romance (aka, futuristic romance).

While I was reading my favorite books, I also read to my children--from nursery rhymes to fairy tales to Dr. Seuss. As a former elementary teacher, I had shelves and shelves of kids’ books. When my kids couldn’t go to sleep, they read. It’s very rewarding to see their homes have lots of books. And now my grandchildren have turned into bookworms. Part of their bedtime ritual is their parents reading to them. Granddaughter (in kindergarten) is not only learning to read but is writing her own books.

Celebrating reading shouldn’t only be for a week or month. In my opinion, we should celebrate reading every day.




In honor of Read an E-book Week, my science fiction romance Switched is available free on Smashwords from March 3-9. I hope you enjoy.






For more about Read an E-book Week, go to http://www.ebookweek.com/index.html

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Everyday should be reading day. And here's to that budding grandchild novelist of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. I was never able to stay at home with my kids but I'd often read at night after the kids went to bed. It was my way of winding down because the conflict would build, but then resolve, allowing me to fall asleep because all was right with the world (especially when I read romance). I love getting books for my grandkids too!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.