Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Monday, November 9, 2015

Veterans Day




On the 11th hour on 11-11-18, World War I came to an end. It seems like I always knew that. Probably because one of my brothers was born on November 11th and my parents told us about the significance of that date.

Originally, the day was known as Armistice Day, honoring those who served in WWI—the war to end all wars. It evolved into Veterans Day in 1954, honoring all who served and are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Like many holidays, this isn’t just a day when federal offices are closed, when we receive no mail, when some students have the day off. It’s not just another excuse for sales.

We put out our flags that says to our neighbors “Thank you, Veterans, for your sacrifices, for protecting us.”

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Here in Canada, it's Remembrance Day, but the sentiment is the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J.H. I should have mentioned that Canada and other countries also celebrate.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.