Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Friday, July 8, 2016

Who's For Dinner with Veronica Scott


I love to interview other authors and find out what influenced their stories, which characters were a challenge to write and why…I also enjoy interviewing people who got to tell their stories on an even bigger scale – TV or movies. 

photo credit: IMDB


For my dinner at Diane’s house, I’d want to invite legendary film producer Gale Ann Hurd, who’s been involved with many of my most favorite and rewatched movies, from “Terminator”, “Terminator 2,” “Tremors,  “Dante’s Peak” to “The Walking Dead” TV show (some seasons of which I like and some seasons of which I take a break from!) …but top of my list is the movie “Aliens.” I love the strong heroine Ellen Ripley and the space marine at her side, Dwayne Hicks. (I always add a lot of backstory in my head about the relationship between Ripley and Hicks that might have been.)

photo credit: IMDB
This leads to my other guest at the dinner, which would be Michelle Lovretta, creator of the SyFy series “Killjoys,” my current favorite program. I’ve actually interviewed her twice and had a wonderful time asking her questions about the characters – Dutch, a tough bounty hunter with a mysterious past, and Johnny and D’avin, two brothers who form her team. Dutch and Johnny have a platonic, friends only relationship, and Dutch and D’avin have a hot, had-sex-too-soon-now-how-do-we-go-forward-and-what’s-possible-for-us challenge. But I happen to know Michelle also has a high regard for the movie “Aliens.”

I think the three of us, and Diane of course, could have a wonderful, wide ranging discussion of science fiction movies and TV, and the tropes we enjoy, versus the ones that make us cringe. I’d love to hear more from each guest about the challenges she’s faced as a woman in the Hollywood/TV environment and how they overcame obstacles along the way.

I’d be peppering Gale with fangirl questions about what it was like, making the movie “Aliens”.
I’d be asking Michelle more details about the backstory and worldbuilding in the Quad, which is where “Killjoys” takes place.

It would be fascinating to hear each of them discuss their creative process and how stories and characters come to them. Additionally, I’m always intrigued by the sheer mechanics of making a movie or a  TV show, and would love to hear more about the background of some of my favorite scenes .

I’d be interested in hearing how they develop their characters, and work with the actors to further deepen the portrayals. What kinds of details do they look for?
I’d love to know what story each of them has in the back of her mind that they’d like to tell but haven’t had the opportunity to do so yet. Who would they like to work with? Which character would they be, if they could live in any scifi universe…the list of questions to hash over is endless but since this is an imaginary dinner, not an interview setting with time limits, we could get to it all, right?
I’d be storing up all of this discussion like a squirrel does with nuts, to ponder later and think about in connection with my own science fiction novels, where I always have a strong heroine and a Special Forces soldier in the midst of some perilous adventure together.


Veronica Scott’s most recent release is Hostage To The Stars.



Author Bio:

Best Selling Science Fiction & Paranormal Romance author and “SciFi Encounters” columnist for the USA Today Happily Ever After blog, Veronica Scott grew up in a house with a library as its heart. Dad loved science fiction, Mom loved ancient history and Veronica thought there needed to be more romance in everything. When she ran out of books to read, she started writing her own stories.


Three time winner of the SFR Galaxy Award, as well as a National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award, Veronica is also the proud recipient of a NASA Exceptional Service Medal relating to her former day job, not her romances! She recently was honored to read the part of Star Trek Crew Member in the audiobook production of Harlan Ellison’s “City On the Edge of Forever.”




7 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love to have dinner with Ms. Hurd! I'm a huge TWD fan and so admire any woman who has risen so high in Hollywood. I had no idea she was involved in so many movies as well. Nice to meet you, Veronica!
    And thanks as always for sharing, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't this be fun, Julie? I had no idea either about Ms. Hurd. What talent!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for having me as your guest today, Diane, such a fun post to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading about your choices, Veronica. I'd definitely want to be at your dinner party. I love Dark Matter and Killjoys. So glad they returned this summer.

      Delete
  3. Now here is a dinner I wouldn't want to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have an invite to that dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Any time you want to have your own dinner party I'd love to have you here. email me at dmburton72 at gmail dot com

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.