Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

#WeWriWa - #8Sunday: The Case of the Bygone Brother


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Writers share an 8 to10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other writers. You can find them here.

The snippet this weekend is from my PI mystery, The Case of the Bygone Brother, a contemporary cozy takes place in a small Lake Michigan resort town, similar to the one where I live. Alex (Alexandra) O'Hara has taken over her dad's investigation agency, struggling to keep it going. Last week, she fell off the filing cabinet and landed on top of Nick. A potential client came in. This snippet picks up a few minutes later.
 
Mrs. Yoder, an attractive woman in her mid-seventies who hadn’t let age keep her from being trim and stylish, lingered in the doorway to my office, disapproval fairly shouting from her. “I believe I have made a mistake.”
I put on the matching jacket to my gray skirt, saying, “Ma’am?”
“The, uh, scene I interrupted . . .” She pursed her lips, giving me that ‘you Jezebel’ look, yet I saw hesitation in her expression, too, and uncertainty.
“I apologize, I fell off the cabinet and he caught—” Pop’s caveat zinged through my brain, never explain, never complain. “Appearances aren’t always what they seem, but I will understand if you choose to go elsewhere.” Please don’t, I need the work.


Alex O’Hara finally gets a case that will give her bottom line a much needed boost. She might even be able to change her diet from ramen noodles to prime rib. All she has to do is track down a man who’s been missing for over ten years. Piece of cake . . . until an old flame arrives and a mugger roughs her up with orders to back off.

Amazon ~ iTunes ~ Kobo ~ ARe ~ Barnes and NobleSmashwords ~ Amazon UK
 




50 comments:

  1. How fun!
    Good luck and God's blessings Diane
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this cozy and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with this and I tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great read! Loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kara. So glad you loved the book.

      Delete
  5. I love this book, too. Can't wait for the next in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah. I'm working, I'm working. I hope to have the 3rd book out soon.

      Delete
  6. Yep, she has it right. Never apologize in a situation like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sour old biddy. Too bad she needs the work so badly. She ought to tell that woman she doesn't need her business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until next week to see why the older woman is there. :)

      Delete
  8. Dad was a smart man.

    Super excerpt, Diane. Looking forward to reading much more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dad was a smart man.

    Super excerpt, Diane. Looking forward to reading much more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun. A compromising position at the wrong moment. Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great snippet! Can't wait for more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love her internal dialogue here! Fabulous snippet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay - she caught herself from making another mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes she actually thinks before jumping. :)

      Delete
  14. Jezebel. *giggles* Can't blame the woman for thinking it, though. ;) I hope she gives Alex the benefit of the doubt. Great work, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good motto, never explain, never complain. I hope the older woman decides to stay, despite what she thought she witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get the reasoning behind that saying, but if you never explain, how will people know what happened? Let people imagine things, and who knows what will happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. But sometimes when a person explains, it's like making an excuse.

      Delete
  17. lol - what a delightfully messed up situation :-)
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoying this story very much and I think she's right not to try to explain too much. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this story and want to read more. I hope Mrs Yoder gives her the benefit of the doubt

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved her response. Perfect move on her part.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with Caitlyn. I would have explained. Or at least said, "It's not what it looks like."
    Or maybe it's just me--I've had to defend myself too may times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you're coming from. Alex says "Appearances aren’t always what they seem." That is a theme throughout the book.

      Delete
  22. Haha, I love where this is going. Very realistic!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.