Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

#WeWriWa - #8Sunday The Case of the Meddling Mama: What a Kiss!


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hops for everyone who loves to read and write! Writers share an 8 to10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other writers. You can find them here.

My snippet is from my upcoming release, THE CASE OF THE MEDDLING MAMA, an Alex O'Hara Novel, third in my PI mystery series. Along with some creative punctuation, it hasn't been edited yet, so suggestions are welcome.

In this snippet, Alex has changed into "professional" attire and is waiting for a client in her office.

“Hello, gorgeous,” Nick said from the open doorway between our offices. 
I wanted so much to fly into his arms, have him hold me and say everything would work out, but not with his mother nearby--and not when I'm supposed to be Ms. Independent.
“You’re back.” I gave him a brilliant smile to make up for not jumping his bones.
He sauntered in, pulled me out of my chair, and planted a kiss on me that melted my pantyhose. Good Lord, could that man kiss. 
When I came up for air, common sense reared its ugly head, and I whispered, “Not with your mother in the next room.”
Nick pulled away, reluctance and disappointment plastered on his face. “The offices are soundproof, she doesn’t know what we’re doing.”
“Don’t count on it.”


Once again, Alex O’Hara is up to her ears in mysteries. After surviving an attempted murder, all she wants is R&R time with Nick Palzetti. But his mother leaving his father (“that horse’s patoot”) and moving in with Alex puts a crimp in their plans. Then Nick leaves on assignment and the teen she rescued from an abusive father believes his buddy is doing drugs. Meanwhile, Alex has two easy cases to take her mind off her shaky relationship with Nick—a philandering husband and a background check on a client’s boyfriend. Piece of cake.



Release date: April 17, 2017. Available for pre-order at the special price of $1.99.



29 comments:

  1. Haha! I bet Mama knows EVERYTHING! :-)

    Great excerpt, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rule of thumb that Nick wants to ignore: Mama always knows what's going on in the next room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the humor blended with heat. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Sounds like they were caught. Nick has some explaining to do to his Mama and Alex. Great snippet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a lot of explaining to do! Thanks, Jess.

      Delete
  5. Fun excerpt! The presence of the mama so close by certainly has an effect on her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tone of this piece, Diane.
    "...planted a kiss on me that melted my pantyhose" is a classic. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I tried not to get too graphic. :)

      Delete
  7. I love the tone of this piece, Diane.
    "...planted a kiss on me that melted my pantyhose" is a classic. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We moms have ESP when it comes to that kind of thing, you know. Great snippet, Di!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mamas have eyes in the back of our heads. We can hear everything. We have super powers. LOL Thanks, Nancy.

      Delete
  9. I share all the points above. A lovely snippet. Mothers can see through walls, don't you know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's back! But with meddling Mama in the next room, they're right to keep it quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As with my husband, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but modesty is virtue!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully they can keep it quiet, but if his kisses are that good, I think they're headed for trouble. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sound-proof office and a locked door might help.

      Delete
  13. I love this line: "planted a kiss on me that melted my pantyhose." I'm saving it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, mother-in-law to be in next room definitely smothers some of the fire...apparently not all of it, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.