Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

#WeWriWa RESCUING MARA'S FATHER Your Mother Would've Been Proud

Each weekend, the Weekend Writing Warriors share an 8 - 10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other authors. You can find them here.

Last weekend, I was so happy about my new release, 
Rescuing Mara's Fatheronly to come crashing down when I started rereading the Amazon ebook. Errors! Errors, I thought I corrected. Discovered I'd uploaded the wrong file! Ack. All is well now. Uploaded the right file, and Amazon said they'd send an email to purchasers that a new file is available. Whew. Crisis over. Lesson learned.

I'm sharing snippets from my Middle Grade/YA science fiction adventure, Rescuing Mara's Father. The narrator is Mara, an almost 15-year-old girl who lives in a mining outpost on the Outer Rim. This snippet takes place shortly after last week's. After Mara and her friend Jako win their fight with the Dunpus brothers, her father takes her home to tend her wounds. He holds her for a moment.

Please excuse the creative punctuation, necessary to keep this within the guidelines. It's also edited from the original.

Abruptly, he pushes me away and stands, I want him to come back, to hold me again—to be the warm, loving Father he used to be. He doesn’t. “I concur with your little friend—you did well, however you could have been killed. Those Dunpus boys are mean, the father meaner—stay away from them.”
“But they were beating up Jako, it wasn’t fair.”
Father walks over to the stove and lifts the lid of the large pot, “You have a good heart,” He stirs the stew, “You are very much like your mother. She would have been proud of you.”
He rarely talks about my mother, who died giving me birth. When I used to ask about her, he would get such a pained look in his eyes I always backed off—this time, I can’t let the opportunity pass, “Please, Father, tell me about her.”

Rescuing Mara's Father is available in digital format at:




Available in Print: Amazon


3 friends, a hidden starship, a quest

Her father is gone! Taken by the Queen of Compara’s agents. Mara has to rescue him before the Queen tortures and kills him.
Instead of the kind, loving father she’s always known, he’s become demanding, critical, with impossible expectations—not just as Father but also as the only teacher in their frontier outpost. Mara would rather scoop zircan poop than listen to another boring lecture about governments on Central Planets. Give her a starship engine to take apart or better yet, fly, and she’s happy. Now, he's gone.
Never mind, they’ve had a rocky road lately. 
Never mind, Father promised she could go off planet to Tech Institute next month when she turns fifteen, where she’ll learn to fly starships.
Never mind, she ran away because she’s furious with him because he reneged on that promise. Father is her only parent. She has to save him.
Along with her best friend, eleven-year-old Jako, and his brother 15-year-old Lukus, Mara sets off to find her father. An old spaceport mechanic and her mentor seems to know why the Queen captured Father. In fact, he seems to know her father well. But, does he tell her everything? Of course not. He dribbles out info like a mush-eating baby. Worse, he indicates he’ll be leaving them soon. And Lukus can’t wait to get off our planet. Mara’s afraid they will all leave her, and she’ll be on her own. Despite her fears, she has to rescue her father.

GIVEAWAY

A $10 AMAZON e-GIFT CARD

Many chances to win.


25 comments:

  1. She has the right idea, I think. Strike while the iron's hot and the memories are close to the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in many ways, her father is proud of her, too. He just doesn't show his emotions as well. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. He's had a lifetime (Mara's) of doing what he thinks is best but not explaining. She never questioned him before. Like most kids her age, she's also testing limits. Understandable from a teen's pov, frustrating from a parent's.

      Delete
  3. That little excerpt draws me in to want to know much more.

    Glad you got the file issue sorted! I always worry about that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. Yeah, I really freaked last weekend, but Amazon came through.

      Delete
  4. Such a good story!

    I would have freaked out too, Diane. Good recovery.

    Yep--I'm TeeKay on Amazon reviews. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, no snippet for me this week. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks again for the great review. Too bad about no snippet. I like that story.

      Delete
  5. Intriguing twist when he suddenly mentions her mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later on in the story the reason he mentions her is clear. Thanks for stopping by, Aurora.

      Delete
  6. I wondered about her father's sentence, "She would have been proud of you." Isn't he also proud? I know father/daughter relationships can be tough, but I hope he gives her the support she needs. Great snippet! And congratulations on your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna. He is proud of her but unsure of how to reveal that. Some men have difficulty expressing how they feel. My dad never said he was proud of me. He showed it, but never said it. I think Mara's Father is somewhat like that.

      Delete
  7. What a place to stop! I want to know if the father will share more about the mother today...sorry to hear about the book errors but I'm glad it all got fixed. Enjoyed the snippet...Best wishes and a hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, veronica. Next week, he will tell her more.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the ice might be breaking just a wee bit? Poignant snippet.

    I feel your pain. Hitting the publish button is always so nerve-wracking. Speaking of mistakes, I posted an excerpt this week but then forgot sign up. I'm at www.alexisduranblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, Alexis. I'll stop by. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  9. How upsetting to upload the wrong file. I would have been frozen with fear. Good for you to be level-headed and fix it right away. The book sounds intriguing. I've been following your blog and twitter feed. I just joined your Facebook page and will tweet about this post. Thanks for this opportunity. All the luck with your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria. So great that you're following me. Support is wonderful.

      Delete
  10. She has no idea how difficult that question would be for him to answer! What a great read, so filling with surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nancy. I wonder if you find it as hard as I do to reply to snippets from books you've read. It's so hard not to spill the beans. :)

      Delete
  11. I don't blame her for wanting to know more, and it seems like a good time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope he'll share more memories of her mother. I sense her longing for more but it might be difficult for him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your release! and I'm glad to hear you got the 'hiccup' worked out. It seems that publishing never runs smooth and problem free. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, you are always right on target. Nifty story.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.