Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, June 6, 2020

#WeWriWa ~ THE SPY: Disturbed by the Transport Driver #sfr


Each weekend, the Weekend Writing Warriors share an 8 - 10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other authors. You can find them here.

Sorry for missing last week. I had no computer. Using an iPad made it difficult to even read posts.

I'm sharing snippets from The Spy: An Outer Rim Novel. It's the 4th book in my series featuring strong women on the frontier of space.

Because this is a work in progress, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Genna is in a conveyance (a taxi-like transport) with a chatty driver.

Genna started to smile but caught herself. It would only encourage him. The conveyance descended. After stopping in front of Filiana’s Diner, the driver got out and opened her door.
“You don’t have to do that,” she snapped as she swiped her fake card to pay her fare. Then she realized how churlish she sounded. “But thank you for your kindness.”
He swept a bow and gave her a cheeky grin. “My pleasure, Rimmer Girl.”


For more of this scene:

Ignoring him, she stepped out of the vehicle. She straightened, realizing to her chagrin that he was shorter than her. He’d seemed larger when seated. She chided herself that it mattered. His golden eyes held hers longer than necessary. Suddenly, the empty conveyance lifted off and zoomed away.
“Wait. Why did you do that?” she asked.
“I’m hungry, too.”
“B-But your vehicle . . .” She waved at the sky where the conveyance joined others in the traffic above, more now that they were so close to spaceport.
“It’s become self-operated. Clever, huh? I can eat, and it still works for me.” He seemed quite pleased with himself.
“Clever, indeed.” She headed into the eatery, hoping he’d take her presenting her back to him as a sign that she didn’t want to have anything more to do with him. Anything to get away from him. He disturbed her in ways she couldn’t define.

Blurb (draft):
Rookie agent must rescue veteran before his cover is blown.

Genna Nogaro, new to the Coalition of Planets’ Intelligence Commission, is assigned to bring in an undercover operative in Hallart’s organization. More experienced agents died before getting him out. Were they killed by the intergalactic gangster or has the operative gone rogue?

Quintall d’Sernin, con man extraordinaire, infiltrated the mob and moved up to be the gangster’s right-hand man. Hallart has his tentacles throughout the Coalition—business, industry, and government. Quin’s finally worked himself into a valued position. All he needs is the key to mob structure in order for Coalition forces to take down the entire organization.

Genna will pose as a new recruit to distract Hallart long enough for Quin to find the key. If they work together, they can accomplish more. But Quin and Genna’s lives are jeopardized by a mole in the Intelligence Commission. Will their true roles be revealed before they accomplish their goal?








16 comments:

  1. Charming snipet. I always enjoy your work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think she'll lose him that easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think he is going to interrupt her turning her back the way she hopes he interprets it.
    Tweeted

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I love that he makes her soooo uncomfortable. And that he's shorter! They're going to make an interesting pair. I wish my computer would continue to work while I have lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO curious! Is he a love interest?? Or is he working for the enemy and keeping an eye on her??

    Writer faster, Diane! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, what is this guy up to and what does he want with her? Very interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the turn this story has taken and I can't wait to find out what they're going to discuss at this meal. I'm sure there'll be surprises for us and the characters. Enjoying the story, great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked your descriptions here. He's a clever one with his vehicle, isn't he? lol I can't wait to see what they discuss over a meal because you know he's not leaving her side, even if she thinks he is. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This fellow has surprised me -- and her, of course -- by becoming a major player.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I don't think he'd going to take the hint. Now I'm really wondering what this guy's role is in the story. Great hook here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't decide if he's an enemy or a potential romantic interest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't trust him, but I'm curious to know his role. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great snippit!!!! I enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.