Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, May 1, 2021

#WeWriWa: - The Case of the Fabulous Fiancé: Life Was Good

 Welcome to the Weekend Writing Warriors. Thanks to everyone who stopped by last week. I apologize for the short comments on your posts last week and this week. One-handed typing is slow. Good thing the cast comes off on Monday.

I'm sharing another snippet from the 2nd Alex O'Hara mystery novel, The Case of the Fabulous Fiancé. Alex is a P.I. in the small Lake Michigan resort town near Grand Rapids. I skipped ahead a little. 

Some changes were made to the original.

Snippet:  

As was his custom in the afternoon, Pete set a cup of herbal tea in front of me. He claimed tea should only be drunk from a fine china cup—Grandma’s Royal Dalton—not a mug.. In the month he’d worked for me, I discovered Pete had an opinion on many things. I appreciated his efficiency, if not all his opinions. He did twice the work Susan had, and I never had to tell him anything more than once. From what I’d seen, he was very intelligent and probably could have worked anywhere. This guy was almost too good to be true.

After taking a sip, I sighed. I loved herbal teas and chai was my favorite. Pete seemed to know exactly what I needed and when I needed it. Today, I needed to relax.

 And for the rest of the scene:

 I’d been so uptight finishing the fraud case on time that I’d actually handed it in three days ahead of schedule. I even had time to begin work on Clyde Wilson, Maura Finley’s boyfriend.

I took another sip of tea. Yes, life was good.

My landline buzzed. “Ms. Finley is on line one,” Pete announced.

I must have conjured her up. “Ms. Finley, Alex—”

“What have you found out about Clyde?”

She was back from her trip or seminar or wherever she’d been. Obviously. And as demanding as she’d been before.

I opened the file on Clyde Wilson and flipped through my notes, ready to give her a brief run down.

“Although I have just begun—”

“What do you mean you’ve just begun? You’ve had my case for a month.”

“During which time I have been working on a previous case, which I explained when you hired me.”

“Yes, well.” She cleared her throat. “Tell me what you know.”

“I can assure you what he told you is correct. He’s forty-four, born in Flint. He owns a house in Royal Oak, as well as a condo in Traverse City. Wilson Industries has corporate offices in the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit, with satellite offices in Dallas, Phoenix, and San Francisco.”

“I know all that. Haven’t you found out anything new?”

Patience, girl, I told myself. Patience. “Ms. Finley, in cases like this I never take anyone’s word for fact. You hired me to investigate. And that is what I do. The first thing I do is make sure what you’ve been told is true.”

“I see.” Her tone had gone from demanding to conciliatory. “You may continue.” Then back to executive mode.

I hung on to my Irish temper. Barely. “He did indeed graduate from Wayne State University. My next step is contacting the Wharton School of Business.”

“Good, good.” After a brief pause, she said, “I would appreciate it if you would make my case your highest priority. I will double your normal rate to expedite the investigation. Thank you for your time.” She hung up before I could respond.

Her urgency made me wonder what was going on. Was the man she met on a cruise pressuring her? 


 Blurb:

She’s at it again. Alex O’Hara just can’t say no to a new investigation. What do a 45-year-old boyfriend, a deadbeat dad, and a teenage runaway have in common? All new cases. With no receptionist, phone and internet problems, and her own boyfriend in the wind, Alex has no idea how she’ll manage. But the question for the past three months is why did Nick disappear. Is this the end of O’Hara & Palzetti? 



Amazon US ~ Amazon UK ~ Kobo ~ iBooks ~ B&N ~ Smashwords


Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week!



  


17 comments:

  1. I love the mystery in this snippet, about both Clyde and Pete, while revealing so much of Alex's personality! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds like the client has something going on with her need to know everything now. I was actually surprised she didn't give Alex more flack for being thorough. I'm wondering if Alex is going to accelerate her pace or continue to be thorough. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna. Alex doesn't cut corners, despite harrassing clients.

      Delete
  3. Pete probably is too good to be true, as is Clyde probably. Love the symmetry to the two parallel stories. Fun snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, yes, it does seem like her client is under some kind of pressure. And I love Pete but he does seem too good to be true...loved the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice interchange to develop character. I loathe pushy clients who think they should be your only reason for living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's not ALMOST too good to be true -- he IS too good. I wonder when his big secret will come out? I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you weave in both the personal and professional mysteries going on in her life. No wonder she needs to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her client is very pushy. I wonder why. Also, I think Pete is too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Working with the public in a service role is a very underrated skill!

    Also, kinda related, books 1 and 2 are listed as part of the series on Amazon, but not book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a good series! I want shout out to anyone reading this that these Alex O'Hara stories are delightful!

    Oh--I agree with Pete, by the way, that tea should always be drunk from a china teacup. China is best, but if you don't have china, the shape should still be teacup--a wider rim so you can inhale the tea as well as taste it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.