Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

#IWSG: Best & Worst Times

 First, Happy Star Wars Day! (May the 4th Be With You.)


Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the May 4 posting of the IWSG are Kim Elliott, Melissa Maygrove, Chemist Ken, Lee Lowery, and Nancy Gideon!

Today's (always optional) question: It's the best of times; it's the worst of times. What are your writer highs (the good times)? And what are your writer lows (the crappy times)?

Boy, oh boy, have I had lots of the latter. To be honest, I've had some good times, too. I'm going to start with the lows so I can end on the highs. 

The worse times were the countless rejections. Back in the day (1990s), you printed out your submission and mailed it to the publisher then haunted the mailbox for the reply (in the SASE you included with your submission). I never wanted to see those. Sometimes, they came with a real letter (not a poorly copied form) saying this isn't what they're looking for. Or, they just bought something too similar. The best part was when the editor added a little note of encouragement. Even better when she asked to see something else.

The worst times came when close relatives (my mother, MIL, and beloved aunt) became very ill, plus I worked in a hostile environment and couldn't quit because of the heath benefits. I stopped writing. That was in the mid-2000s, then repeated nearly 20 years later (except for the job situation) with Hubs. So, twice my life turned ugly and I couldn't write. Truly, the worst of times.

The best times overshadowed the worst.

First best time was when Switched was accepted by a publisher, who said she laughed so hard at certain places in the book she fell out of bed. 

Another best time was when I returned to writing (early 2010s). I decided to forget writing for a publisher and write for fun. How liberating! Then I discovered indie publishing. And saw actual money for my hard work.

Gradually, I'm finding my way back from the second cessation of writing. Thanks to the encouragement of so many friends--many of them right here at IWSG. Thanks, too, to the kick in the pants from real world friends, like Nancy Gideon, whose leg must be getting tired by now. (Keep on kicking, girl. I need it.)

Probably the very best is encountering so many writing friends here online and in the real world. It was with sadness this year that I left Romance Writers of America after nearly 30 years. Not because the national organization meant so much but because I had to leave our local chapter. Those wonderful people were my first cheering section, fellow writers who cared for and about each other. But thanks to the miracle of technology, I can keep in touch with them. This group has been like that in many ways. You share the good times and the bad ones, congratulating each other and offering support. Thank you!

Hope you have a great month!!! Ya think Spring is finally here?





Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.


24 comments:

  1. Hi, I am glad you came through the worst times and enjoyed the best times. I remained in the RWA because I am a member of the Romantic Women Fiction group and also the treasurer and I enjoy the women who are in the group.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hard decision to leave, esp. because of our local chapter. Thanks for your comment, Pat.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy we have submission methods other than snail mail these days! That's wonderful that you've had supportive friends to motivate you, and that you discovered the joy it brings when you write for yourself...Glad you discovered indie publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. Many people my age despise technology. I'm so grateful for it. I need to remind myself how much fun it is to write for myself.

      Delete
  3. Hi Diane, yes, our manuscripts getting selected are always a big high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Rachna. Dancing in the streets high. LOL

      Delete
  4. Glad your highs outweigh the lows and that you were able to return to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Me, too. Libras look at both sides of issues. Although it's sometimes hard, I try to find the good in stressful situations.

      Delete
  5. I think when we keep coming back to writing even when life has knocked us down and writing is hard, is proof that writing is what we are meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My good times keep me going to and definitely outweighs the bad. See you next month. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. If we didn't have those good times, we wouldn't keep at it.

      Delete
  7. I love May the 4th be with you. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life does have a way of derailing our best-laid plans. I am so glad you are finding your next wind.

    I've heard other authors who've done both say they made considerably more money through indie publishing than through traditional. That's good news, as I intend to take that route, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been true for me, Lee. Lately, since I haven't had anything new for 3 years, my income is dismal. That tells me to finish the darn book. LOL

      Delete
    2. Forgot to say, good luck with indie pubbing. #1 piece of advice: read and follow directions. So much easier. :)

      Delete
  9. Your highs and lows are very relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember those days of snail mailing submissions and receiving the rejections. A lot of them were downright downs for me but there were a few highs within those rejections such as a more personalised note. Then when I turned to self-publishing it was a high in that my work was at least published. But it also actually made some sales, not a lot but some. Yes, I would say spring is here. We've been getting few cloudy and cold days where I live but more sunny and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those precious rejection letters--when the editor wrote good things about my writing. Definitely a high. This week seems to indicate Spring is here. Love it!

      Delete
  11. Encouragement in any form is great and so glad to hear you're slowly starting to write again. I miss your pages at writing group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those times when real life crowds out our writing are certainly lows. I'm glad you're coming round to it again. For me, it's how I navigate life.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.