Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

#IWSG: Favorite Genre


Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain 
Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the October 5 posting of the IWSG are Tonja Drecker, Victoria Marie Lees, Mary Aalgaard, and Sandra Cox!

This month's question: What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

My favorite genre is science fiction romance. When I say that to those who don't know me well, I get strange looks. Science fiction? I answer "yes!" with all the enthusiasm of a true fanatic. Romance is a bonus. Even better, the two have one big thing in common--hope. Hope for the future. With science fiction, the possibilities are endless. Traveling to the moon? Been there, done that. And beyond? Why not? Habitats on planets in our solar system? Sure. Finding Goldilocks planets (where everything is just right for humans) can't be far behind. Building our own worlds, creating our own rules? What's not to like about that?

So many things we thought were fiction back in the 1950s and 1960s are here, now. Many people who work for NASA say it was science fiction (esp. movies like Star Wars and a television shows like Star Trek) that made them see possibilities and gave them the desire to try to accomplish them. 

As I mentioned, adding romance to science fiction is a lagniappe--something extra, an unexpected benefit. Many readers enjoy relationship stories. Watching two people fall in love and create a family gives proof that humanity will continue. That we have a future. 

Whether that future is here on Earth or on a planet far, far away, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that life will continue. We have a future.


Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.

18 comments:

  1. FYI I had to refresh to leave a comment. I love combining two genres, like you are with science fiction and romance. I think a lot of genre stories are better when there is a romance subplot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like relationship stories. For me to like a TV show or movie, I have to like the characters and how they interact. Sorry about having to refresh. I've been having to do that a lot lately. I thought it was my computer.

      Delete
  2. I have a theory that if something can be imagined, ultimately it can become real. Sounds like NASA has the same idea. I like the idea of hope for the future. I'm feeling like we need some nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need that. So much doom-and-gloom. So many disasters, man-made as well as nature. I have to believe we will survive.

      Delete
  3. And right now we need all the hope we can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Sometimes, I wish I didn't know what was going on.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Di, my SciFi pal!! I loved (still love) all things Trekkie and Star Warsie (is that a word?). When Star Trek debuted it reinforced all those worlds I read about as a teen. To infinity and beyond!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I couldn't figure out how to sneak in that last line. LOL

      Delete
  5. Something about romance has always drawn me in. Plus I do love Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's relationships, how they start and survive, that intrigues me. Plus, I'm a hopeless romantic. :)

      Delete
  6. Science fiction romance sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely like some kind of romance in movies and books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy "buddy" movies, too. Something about relationships intrigue me.

      Delete
  8. Straight science isn't as much fun without people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree, Diane. Sc-fi is frequently a portent of the future. Very woo woo:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sci-Fi can be a wild ride. Add a little romance and the future is full of hope. What's not to love. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope, Diane. That's what we all need today. What a great post. And what a great genre to be writing in. Bravo! Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.