Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, February 4, 2023

#WeWriWa - The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: The Great Detective

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thank you all for your comments on last week's post. Your encouragement really helps.

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. Alex finally gets to see Nick in jail.


Snippet:  

“How can they even think you killed a man?” I said.

He glanced over my shoulder. I’d forgotten Deputy Jenny hadn’t left. I glared at her. “You don’t have to watch me. I don’t have a sawblade under my gown.”

She shrugged. “SOP.”

“What?” I blurted out.

“Standard Operating Procedure, babe,” Nick murmured.

 

And a little more:

Deputy Jenny would follow the rules. The hell with her. I was going to kiss my husband, even if she watched. As best I could, I clasped Nick’s face. The bars between us made it difficult but not impossible. I’d never seen such despair in his dark eyes before. I ached to help.

“We’ll get you out,” I promised. “Hans is working on it.”

“Find out who did it. Who set me up.”

“Of course.” I gave him a crooked smile. “The Great Detective is on the case.”

He reached through the bars and hooked a long curl that had fallen forward behind my ear. The tender gesture brought tears to my eyes.

“You are a terrific detective, Lexie. Use those sleuthing skills to get me out of here.” With his thumb, he wiped my tears away.


Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay healthy and have a great week.



17 comments:

  1. Such trust and longing in this tender moment! Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has such faith in her - hoping she can figure out who framed him. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he's trying to give her confidence in herself.

      Delete
  3. I like his confidence in her! Great snippet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a man with the confidence to encourage a woman's independence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last bit was so sweet. She gets to be his knight in shining armor now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a tender moment between them--all under the watchful eyes of the deputy following the SOP. Poor Alex.

    Write faster. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i like it. got me interested in the story. looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so bad for them! This is NOT how a wedding day should end. I hope that deputy got an eyeful of their kiss. She should be ashamed for standing there. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As annoying as Jenny's presence is... It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a witness to the complete faith in his innocence and Lexie's determination to prove it

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.