Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

IWSG: AI and Writing and Winter Blues


Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG

The awesome co-hosts for the March 6 posting of the IWSG are Kristina Kelly, Miffie Seideman, Jean Davis, and Liza @ Middle Passages!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. 

March 6th question: Have you "played" with AI to write those nasty synopses, or do you refuse to go that route? How do you feel about AI's impact on creative writing?

I've never heard of playing with an AI. That's what happens when you don't keep up with changes in the writing biz. As far as AI's impact on creative writing, I'm not sure. My first thought is nothing can create as well as a human mind. Then, I recall books and movies that take place in the future where AIs can think and come up with new ideas. Star Trek's Data, 2001's HAL. I'm still unsure about that impact. Would it have an emotion chip? What about the experience to know how emotion factors in a story. I'm curious what you all think about this.

If you missed me last month, I apologize. For some weird reason (winter blues, depression, meltdown), I stopped reading email in January. Information overload? Winter in the Great Lakes region means gray skies. Even though we've had a mild winter snow and temperature wise, I've still been affected by the weather. Or, I've let the weather influence my mood. Depression doesn't make sense. I hope you've had a better winter. 

The next #IWSGPit will be in March 27, 2024,

10:00 am - 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.


Create a Twitter-length pitch for your completed and polished manuscript and leave room for genre, age, and the hashtag. On Wednesday, March 27, 2024, Tweet your pitch using #IWSGPit. If your pitch receives a favorite/heart from a publisher/agent check their submission guidelines and send your requested query.

Many writers have seen their books published from a Twitter pitch - it’s a quick and easy way to put your manuscript in front of publishers and agents.

CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES AND HOW TO PARTICIPATE


Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today. 




12 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better. Yes, it was very cold and grey for a period here in Michigan. I don't think we should use Al to write creatively either, but it can be a tool for other tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as you wrote "Data" I thought, "emotion," and you did too. I am woefully ignorant pertaining to AI and writing. It does scare me that in some future not too far off, AI might just get too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the winter blues. Been about average here - no snow, of course.
    Data is the good side of AI. Skynet is the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you're back with us. We missed you.

    When AIs start coming up with ideas, we better get concerned about it real fast. I think we've all read a version of that book before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you've shaken off the blues and are back in writing form. Who would have thought back when we started out that anyone would want to actually steal OUR words? Or that it would become a real issue for authors today. Now, your SciFi books are uncomfortably close to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry the grey got to you. Hope spring brings some blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your winter blues. My son has the seasonal affective disorder, and for many years, he was plagued with depression during the winter months. It took him a while to figure out how to fight it. Hopefully, the longer days bring relief to you, as they did to him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear that you've shaken off the winter blues, Diane!. Gray skies for too long depress me. I always think of Data. I really liked him and found his desire to understand human emotion fascinating. And I adored Spot his cat. Enjoy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, depression doesn't make sense. I'm glad you popped up again, though, and you're not the only one who wonders if this will lead to another Data or Lore Kind of scary. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the depression. That is no way to spend any time, but I hope you're back up and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather in Michigan this year has been weird, but still quite dreary. I'm happy the sun is coming back out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for creating a space that fosters continuous learning and personal growth.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.