Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

IWSG: September

 


Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG

The awesome co-hosts for the September 4 posting of the IWSG are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!

Why is it when you're late, delays seem so much bigger (or worse)? My internet keeps going out. And, of course, I'm late getting my post up. Never mind I could've done it yesterday or last week. Just call me The Procrastinator. 

I've missed posting too often this summer. Depression got hold of me and wouldn't let up. I'm working on that, taking my meds, etc. So, I apologize to everyone who went to my blogsite and saw the same of post.

September 4 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

One that gets me as a reader is missing commas. I know it's a style thing. (Not sure what else to call it) I'm frustrated as I'm reading and have to reread a sentence that doesn't make sense because a comma is missing. Petty irritation. But one thing I've been taught as a writer is don't make the reader stop and go back. They lose the train of thought, find it irritating, and sometimes give up. Sure don't want that.

I'm very interested in reading how the rest of you answer this month's question.


Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today. 

12 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Anything that stops the reader's progression into the story is an opportunity for them to set the book aside. Glad to have you back, Di!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. Glad to be back. Baby steps. I'm actually thinking about writing again.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry you've been having internet issues and have been depressed. I'm so glad to see you're back. Yes, commas are essential when writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. To me, commas are pauses in a sentence. Boy, when you don't have a comma, you don't know when to pause.

      Delete
  3. Commas are my bane. Thank goodness for spell check which includes grammar check - my crutches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grammar check is a pain for me. It pops up too many times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most people overuse commas, so underuse isn't a bad thing.
    Glad to have you back!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to turn my inner editor off when I'm reading for fun. Those missing commas trip me up when I'm trying to enjoy a story too. I'm sure I miss some in my own writing, but darn it, I try to put them all in the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have more good days than bad. I hate when I have to go back and read something again because the writing style has confused me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see you back and I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. Depression is a b!+ch. Don't let her keep you down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ironically, commas are a big issue with most of the books DLP signs, both missing and too many.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.