Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, April 2, 2022

#WeWriWa - THE CASE OF THE WEDDING WRECKER:

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thank you to everyone who stopped by last week. 

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This immediately follows last week's snippet. Alex, her dad, and Todd just walked into the police station where she's confronted by Todd's mother. Last week's snippet ended with Todd's mother crying out, “They killed your father. The two of them.”

BTW, since this is a work in progress, suggestions are always welcome.

Snippet:  

Deputy Jenny Sampson gave me a sympathetic look. “Your family is inside, come.” She held the barrier door open and waved us in.

When Todd followed with his mother, the officer let them in, too. My heart went out to the kid. He had no love loss for his stepfather, but he loved his mom. Since he came to live with us back in March, he’d talked a lot about her. Mainly to Nick who shared with me. Todd’s mother hadn’t been like this when his father was alive. He said she was happy and took care of herself.

 And a little more:    

After his father died in a car accident, she’d changed. Frightened, skittish, clingy. Then, she married Mike Amerson and got worse. When Todd rescued Nick and me from the Black Widower gang, I realized how observant he was. A caring teen. That almost felt like an oxymoron, but it was true.

Maria spotted us first and hurried over to us. “You poor dear.” She hugged me. “Tony called Pieter Bogardus. He should be here soon.”

Pieter hadn’t officially retired, but his son Hans had returned this summer to take over the law practice. Pieter wasn’t a criminal lawyer. I knew since his office was next to mine, and we did work for each other. Pieter’s specialty was family law. I hadn’t paid as much attention as I should’ve when he talked about his son. I hoped to God Hans had experience with criminal law.

“Where is Nick?” I demanded. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell.”

When Tony patted my shoulder, his hand shook. “That effing Dawson locked him in a cell. Wouldn’t let us talk to him.”

 

Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.


 

12 comments:

  1. The oxymoron part pulled me out of the story. Most of the teens I know care far more than a lot of the adults I know.

    But I do like the background info on these characters. And Alex seems scattered, as I would expect her to be in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you pointed out the oxymoron thing. Thanks, Jess. Alex's mind is going 90 mph and in all directions.

      Delete
  2. You always know how to stir up a good batch of trouble and confusion in your characters, who at this point don't know which way is up. Love this story, Di!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, stirring up trouble? LOL Glad you're enjoying the story. It's coming along nicely for me.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the snippet and the way you slid in a bit of backstory and gave us a new character to think about, in this lawyer we haven't met yet. Smoothly done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike info dumps that go on for a page or two or three. LOL I tried to sneak in a little bit of backstory. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Uh h. They can't even talk to him??? I smell a rat...

    Good snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a complex scene with a little insight into Todd's mom's behavior and the old lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many people who need help at the moment! I hope Alex can cover all the bases and not get lost in the midst of it herself. Great snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna. Good insight into the situation.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.