Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, June 4, 2022

#WeWriWa: The Case of the Wedding Wrecker - My Perfect Day?

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. 

Sorry for being AWOL for the past few weeks. But, it's a new month, and I'm starting up again. 

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. If you haven't read the previous Alex O'Hara mysteries, I should point out it takes place in West Michigan, along the Lake Michigan shore. The Dutch settled in Michigan starting in the 1830s, most heavily on the west side of the state. My Dutch ancestors settled in the area north of Detroit. I had fun using family names for some of my characters.

To catch up: After Nick was arrested, everyone gathered at the police station. Nick's dad called the family lawyer to get Nick out of jail. The lawyer's son, also a lawyer, came, too. Hopefully, they'll get some answers.

BTW, since this is a work in progress, suggestions are always welcome.

Snippit: 

“I’d rather have Pieter,” Tony groused. “Look at him. Couldn’t even change his clothes.”

Maria turned away from me and laid her hand on his forearm. Maria, the pacifier. “You told Pieter you needed him right away. Hans is staying with Pieter because he can’t drive.”

“But I don’t know this guy,” Tony protested.

“Me, either,” Pop chimed in. “I agree with Tony.”

“Wait,” I said. “Why can’t Pieter drive? He doesn’t look well. What happened?”

 And a bit more . . . 

“He had a stroke last week. He should be in rehab,” Maria tsked. “As much as we all like Pieter, this case would be too much for him.”

Stroke? No wonder he didn’t look good. Why hadn’t I heard? We sat for several minutes. Finally, I couldn’t stand inaction. I had to get up and move. When I did, I tripped on the train. “Maria, please help me.”

Since she’d help me dress that morning, she knew how to detach the train. “Let’s get that veil off, too.”

I’d forgotten about that. Too many thoughts, so much worry.

What happened to my perfect day?


 Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.


16 comments:

  1. Poor Alex. Her perfect day is now a 'wreck' of a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never fail to create scenes that plunk us right down in the middle of them. Nice job, Di!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nancy. You never fail to bolster me. Great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sad and disturbing day. And her friend had a stroke - the blows keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've got her up a tree and I'm throwing rocks at her.

      Delete
  5. Wedding trains - they look so elegant but are such a pain. Good little detail. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel sorry for the poor girl. Girls dream of their wedding day, and hers was ruined. Elaine Cantrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. But she's not going to let it get her down.

      Delete
  7. This has got to be the worst wedding day on record. What else is going to happen on this day? I'm sure she wishes like hell it was over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is not the day she expected for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wedding to remember alright. Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.