Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, August 13, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: Don't Volunteer Any Info

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release.

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This snippet picks up where we left off last time. The police chief, Dan Hoesen, is interviewing Alex. The lawyer, Hans Bogardus, is with her.


Snippet:  

The chief cleared his throat. “I apologize for my former deputy’s insensitivity. We will restart the interview.” He nodded behind me, waited a second or three, then repeated my name and date.

Former deputy? I wasn’t touching that. I wanted to get this interview over with.

“State your name and relationship with the accused.”

“Alexandra O’Hara, uh, Palzetti—” Holy shit. I’d never called myself that before. “—wife of Nicholas Palzetti.”

“Tell me what you did yesterday.”

 

And a little more

“Everything? After the rehearsal and dinner, my girlfriends had a bachelorette party that started—”

“Only when and where you saw Nicholas Palzetti,” the chief said.

Oh, good. He didn’t need to know how foolish we all were.

“In the morning, we went sailing, had a picnic, and came back to my apartment about four-thirty.”

“Only answer the question,” Hans said. “Don’t volunteer any more information than what the chief asks.”

Chief Hoesen glared at him before making a note on his legal pad. “So, you both went back to your apartment. Then what did you do?”

“I got ready for the rehearsal.”

“And Nick?”

“After I finished my shower, he took one.”

Dan rolled his eyes. “I don’t need every detail. What happened after you got dressed for the rehearsal?”

 

Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.







13 comments:

  1. Alex seems to be frustrating both Hans and Dan. I can tell she just wants to clear Nick in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes she's a smart-a$$; this time she isn't trying.

      Delete
  2. LOL! She's just a bundle of information, isn't she? TMI, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She does have trouble sticking to just the shortest factual answers! Enjoyed the scene, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if all these myriad details is a delaying or obscuring tactic? But yeah, she should stop talking. Great snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is either going to talk him into a deep hole or hopefully out of a deep hole.
    Tweeted.

    I saw your comment on my blog - I grew up in Windsor across from Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that Alex is a talker. It'd be challenging to get a short answer out of her. :-) I like this story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's nervous so she's babbling. Hans is right. Never volunteer anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chief should be glad he doesn't have to interview me. I'd be extremely nervous and, therefore, likely to babble on about nothing. He'd probably think I was guilty. Of course, if I was guilty, I'd end up framing myself. I'm a terrible liar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He says he doesn't need every detail, but if she left them out he'd probably accuse her of holding back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, I like the way Alex seems to be running rings around them!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.