Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, August 27, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: A Shark, White Teeth and All

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Apologies for missing last week. My computer died (or so I thought) last Saturday, and since I'm a confirmed procrastinator, I couldn't put up my post. Turns out I'd plugged in the wrong charger cord. No wonder my batter didn't charge. Glad it was only that instead of needing a new computer. Anyway, on to my post for this week.

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This snippet picks up where we left off last time. (BTW, thanks for all your comments, esp. those about Alex running her mouth.) The police chief, Dan Hoesen, is interviewing Alex. The lawyer, Hans Bogardus, is with her. The last line was: What happened after you got dressed for the rehearsal."


Snippet:  

“Nick and I went to the church. After the rehearsal, we had dinner at the Golden Fleece.” The chef at the popular restaurant was a friend of Nick’s.

“And then?” Dan prodded.

“Maria, Nick’s mother, hustled me out to a limo, where my best friends were waiting.”

“Who?”

“Dottie, Ellen—”

Dan tore off a sheet of paper from his pad and shoved it across the table to me along with a pen. “Write down their names—first and last. And where you went.”

 

And a little more:

I did as instructed, before pushing the paper back to him.

Dan glanced at it. “Did Nick go with you?”

I shook my head. “Our party was Girls Only.” I grinned thinking about Nick coming along. Until it hit me. Nick was in jail. I sobered quickly.

“What time did you leave the restaurant?”

“Seven? Or a little after. Maria would know. Do you want me to get her?” I started to rise, but Hans drew me down with a hand on my wrist.

“I will talk to her later,” Dan said. “What did Nick do?”

“I assume he went to his bachelor party.”

Hans tapped the table next to my arm. “Only speak to the things you know. Don’t assume or guess.”

The chief glared at him. “When did you return to your apartment?”

“Eleven forty-five.”

“You know that exactly?”

I grimaced. “Yes. Maria made a point of telling me to tell Nick to drive her home because the limo and driver were done at midnight.”

“Nick was in the apartment when you returned?”

“Yes. We talked for—”

Hans tapped my forearm. “Remember what I said. Only answer the questions. Don’t volunteer any more information than what the chief asks.”

Dan pursed his lips. “Is that really necessary, Counselor? She isn’t accused. I’m just trying to find out where Palzetti was.”

Hans didn’t say anything, just stared at Dan. That look. OMG, I’m glad it wasn’t directed at me. His dad might be elegance personified. Hans looked like a shark, white teeth and all.

 

Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.



 

5 comments:

  1. Nice. I wonder what happened that Nick is in jail. Alex should definitely listen to Hans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't need a new computer! Enjoyed the snippet - the lawyer is very smart. It's so hard not to keep talking and providing information but the police are not her friends in this case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that last description of the lawyer--like a shark with all those teeth. Very effective characterization! Tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super - I'm glad the shark is on her side. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! And thank heavens Hand has stepped up to get her talking under control! Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.