Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

#IWSG: & Book Tour - First Love: The Art of Making Doughnuts

Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the September 7 posting of the IWSG are Kim Lajevardi, Cathrina Constantine, Natalie Aguirre, Olga Godim, Michelle Wallace, and Louise - Fundy Blue

Instead of the optional question this month, I'm happy to present First Love: The Art of Making Doughnuts. This anthology is the result of the Insecure Writers Support Group's contest. You're getting the best of the best. I love the title! Even better, the authors are here to tell you why they wrote their book in this terrific anthology. 


I wrote my story, Marmalade Sunset, after a glorious 2-hour visit to the town of Oia on the drop-dead gorgeous jewel of a Greek Island, Santorini. Oia is set high in the hills and has a huge caldera and caves hidden in the cliffs. During the German occupation, many Greeks hid in the caves and often starved. So, much of my story relates my version of historical events juxtaposed with my real-life experience. – Denise Covey

 

People often ask why I write. The simplest answer is because "I have to". More specifically, I'm an avid reader of all genres. I love reading about relationships, interactions, and adventures. By extension I must write about them as well. Stories help us figure out who we are and offers a chance to connect in a unique way. In her writing-life memoir Bird by Bird, Anne Lamont says: "[Our writing matters] because of the spirit, I say. Because of the heart. Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen and expand our sense of life: they feed the soul." That's why I write. – Sylvia Ney

 

This short story was inspired by my first ride share experience. While it wasn't romantic, it was memorable (with a whole secret father and inheritance discussion going on). Beyond the original inspiration, I wrote this story as a way to express the desire to present a perfect life, even with those closest to you, and to therefore miss out on true relationship. If we're not vulnerable with those we love, we're missing out on the most important part. – Sammi Spizziri

 
In "The Art of Making Doughnuts," the main character is working on a
puzzle depicting Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party. Originally, I
threw that in as a sentimental nod to my all-time favorite painting,
but, as so often happens in writing, I was delighted to find that the
puzzle/painting grew to became a key piece of the story as the plot
developed. I hope readers enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoyed
writing it! – Linda Budzinski

 

My kids were in an 80’s rock phase when I wrote “Clyde and Coalesce.” Eye of the Tiger was their favorite, so we listened to it on repeat. My story is as much inspired by music as it is inspired by Pride and Prejudice. – Kim Elliott

 

I typically write full-length novels, and I don’t write insta-love romance. To squeeze an entire, believable romance into a short story, I had to choose a mail-order bride plot with MCs already wed by proxy. It was a challenge, to say the least. – Melissa Maygrove

 

I like this question… What surprised me the most: writing this story in a genre different from my previous works. Pushing ourselves as writers can lead to many surprising and wonderful outcomes. For me, this story is my first publication, and has given me insight to challenge myself further by finding other venues to publish my work. – Michael Di Gesu

 

I based my story on a writing prompt (handsome neighbor comes to girl’s rescue when her ex shows up at her house), and it surprised me when Harrison pulled out his acting/improv skills to disarm the ex. That moment took me all the way to “the end” and even gave me my title. I love when my characters surprise me. – Katie Klein

*  *  *


First Love: The Art of Making Doughnuts
An Insecure Writer’s Support Group Anthology

The sweetness of first love…

Could a fiercely independent cop’s heart be stolen by the guy who makes her favorite doughnuts? Will a maid who used deceit to snare a mail-order husband get a dose of her own medicine? Can her handsome neighbor rescue a modern-day “princess” from a tenacious ex-boyfriend? Can two strangers in a rideshare be honest enough to fall in love for real? Can you remember your first love? How about your second? Third? Fourth?

Featuring the talents of Linda Budzinski, Melissa Maygrove, Michael Di Gesu, Sylvia Ney, Katie Klein, Kim Elliott, Templeton Moss, S.E. White, Denise Covey, and Sammi Spizziri. Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will touch your heart and rekindle lost feelings. Prepare to return to that first love…

Release date: September 6, 2022
Print ISBN – 9781939844880, $14.95
eBook ISBN – 9781939844897, $4.99
Romance - Clean & Wholesome (FIC027270) / Contemporary (FIC027020) / Historical (FIC027050)
186 pages, Freedom Fox Press, an imprint of Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C.

Founded by author Alex J. Cavanaugh and a Writer’s Digest Top Sites for Writers, the Insecure Writer’s Support Group offers support for writers and authors alike. It provides an online database; articles; monthly blog posting; Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram groups; #IWSGPit, and a newsletter.
https://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/

Links:
Amazon 
https://www.amazon.com/First-Love-Art-Making-Doughnuts-ebook/dp/B09QH3Z28P/
Barnes & Noble 
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/first-love-insecure-writers-support-group/1140884369?ean=2940165751301
iTunes https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1605240999
Kobo 
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/first-love-the-art-of-making-doughnuts
Scribed - 
https://www.scribd.com/search?query=9781939844897&language=0
Goodreads 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60198262-first-love



Congratulations to all the authors. I'm excited to read this anthology. I hope you are, too.

Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.


18 comments:

  1. So fun to read the inspiration behind the stories. Congratulations to all the authors included in the anthology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to help pick stories for this one. Talk about a difficult job when so many were SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love getting the insight on why each author wrote the story they did for the anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for featuring the authors and First Love. It sounds like each author was stretched by the contest and discovered something surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting about the anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Congrats to all the authors and I look forward to reading First Love.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge congratulations to everyone who was published in this anthology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strange _ came back to check and my comment has vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading the inspiration behind everyone's story. Congrats to everyone in the anthology!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Diane, for featuring First Love and its authors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing FIRST LOVE with your readers! Loved reading everyone's inspiration/moment of surprise! - Linda Budzinski

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a surprise to learn there was a contest here! Guess I've had my head buried in my own drafts. Congratulations, Diane! What fun to read everyone's snippet about their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Diane! The interview snippets are such a great addition to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Diane for featuring FiRST LOVE today. We all appreciate it so much- Michael Di Gesu

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.