Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

IWSG: April 2023


Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain 
Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world.

The awesome co-hosts for the April 5 posting of the IWSG are Jemima Pett, Nancy Gideon, and Natalie Aguirre!

A thank you to whoever came up with an optional question each month. That really helps when I have difficulty thinking about what I should write. 

April 5 question - Do you remember writing your first book? What were your thoughts about a career path on writing? Where are you now and how is it working out for you? If you're at the start of the journey, what are your goals?

I sure do remember, even though it was almost 30 years ago. Holy cow! I didn't realize it was that long ago. 

My thoughts as I wrote my first story was that I was going to treat this (writing) as a business. When I "went to work" (had a definite writing time), my writing increased. I even took a class for starting a small business. That's when I learned I should have a separate checking account and credit card, both dedicated for my business, keeping them separate from the family finances. I also learned about making long-term goals for the business. Although I learned about getting a tax ID for the business and how to report sales tax, I figured my books would be in bookstores, and they could take care of that. A few years ago, when I started selling my books at craft and vendor shows, I figured I'd better get that tax ID and report the sales tax I collected. 

After that class, I got my new checking account and credit card. I tried making long-term goals but never kept it up. I learned about writing query letters (thanks to Writer's Market) and a list of publishers and agents. Mind you, this was all before the internet really got big. Everything I learned then was from paper books, the library, and wonderful fellow writers who shared info. How much easier it is today with Google and the many online writers groups.

That first story had several rejections, some even with "send something else." I entered the first 3 chapters in contests. Boy, did I ever get some interesting comments from the judges. Learned a lot from that. Those early stories were practice and will never see the light of day again. 😀

Eventually, I sold my first book to a niche publisher. Since then, I've published fourteen more (one to another small publisher, the rest self-published). Even though I'm not making a lot of money, I'd say my plans have worked out.

Hope you have a great writing month.


Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.


26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had some good success. I set up a business account when I was freelancing a while back. After a point, I realized I enjoyed writing what I wanted to write more than what I was "employed" to write. I cancelled the business bank account and write for myself mostly now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a interesting career in writing, Diane. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting with big gaps, due to Life. Thanks, Lee.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize we were so closely tied in book numbers. You'd think I'd know that with how many times we've shared a table. LOL

    I think we all have early stories that no one will never see, but it's all part of learning and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You've lugged my crates with books to those tables, so I'd think you know the number of books. I agree about the early books. They're practice.

      Delete
  4. The smartest thing you could've done was treat it like a business. Because it is! Congrats on so many published books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. For many writers, it's a hobby. Not me, not if I want to claim expenses with the IRS.

      Delete
  5. Hi Diane, you did a smart thing by treating your writing like a business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did awesome with your writing and congrats to all the books you've written and here's to many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. The ideas are there. It's the writing that's slowed down.

      Delete
  7. I love your no-nonsense approach to treating writing like a business and learning as you went. You are an inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like so many of us, you've come a long way, baby! I so remember you were the leader, too, into the eBook indie publishing route. I learned so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long road, with too many pit stops. LOL Thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  9. I've never thought of my writing as a business. On the other hand, I told myself that I wouldn't let it cost me money. So free blog, and traditional--although small--publishers attracted most of my attention. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, there's nothing wrong with writing as a hobby. Most of us have done that at some point. Whether that's good depends on you, the writer.

      Delete
  10. What a fascinating journey. I never thought to treat my writing as a business, maybe because I never hoped for much money from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much money is true. Sure glad I don't depend on my writing to pay my bills. LOL

      Delete
  11. Alongside a desire to write and a love of writing must come discipline and you realised that early on. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discipline and perseverance. Without them, we sure don't get far.

      Delete
  12. That's an excellent journey! I'm a full time writer, and the business side is my least favorite part ;). Still wouldn't change it for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like the plan is working to me as well! Creating stories is a fun job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What journeys we writers have. And writing before computers and the Internet was challenging, but we did it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you went about it the right way. And now look at your success. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.