Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

IWSG: Dreaming


Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain 
Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.


The awesome co-hosts for the July 5 posting of the IWSG are PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, Gwen Gardner, Pat Garcia, and Natalie Aguirre!

July 5 question - 99% of my story ideas come from dreams. Where do yours predominantly come from?

I have crazy dreams that I don't remember ten minutes after I wake up. My ideas come more in that in between time when I'm just about ready to go to sleep. Not just story ideas. Character names have popped into my mind as I'm drifting off. I wouldn't say 99%, though. Maybe 70%. The rest come from books, movies, newspaper stories, and heaven only knows where,

Where do your ideas come from? 


Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today. 



14 comments:

  1. That's so interesting that your ideas come right before you go to sleep. Mine tend to come from random moments in my day and asking "What if."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never remember my dreams either. Unless they are really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing about being a writer is that you're always surprised. It's either how the idea come or that you've actually woven them into a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many places. The ones I love are the ones that don't let go. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten ideas as I'm falling and asleep and I hate when that happens. Especially when I fall asleep before I even get a chance to think about writing the idea down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you keep paper and pen by your bed to catch all those names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never remember my dreams either. There have been times when I'm drifting off to sleep where a scene from a wip will float through my head and I have to either get up to write it down or be lazy and hope I remember it in the morning. The latter is rare so I usually have to type up that thought on my phone if I want to actually use it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes. The best names often come to me when I'm already half asleep. And if I don't get up and jot them down right away, I'd forget them the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. I often am working through plot points and character issues as I fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine, too! And for the life of me I can't remember any of the details when I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, it is nice that 70 percent of your story ideas comes from your dreams, including character names. All the best. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like word or sentence prompts, and sometimes I take pictures and write about them. Sometimes things come from dreams. One story came from a caricature in a magazine article. Inspirations is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have some great dreams! I usually don’t remember any of mine, unless they’re scary and wake me up—and I don’t write horror! =D Hope all is well with you
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  14. My inspiration comes from multiple sources. My sleep is fraught with peril and some of my dreams have inspired stories. It will come as no surprise that I do write horror (among other genres.)

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.