Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

IWSG: Thoughts on AIs

 


Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG

The awesome co-hosts for the October 4 posting of the IWSG are Natalie Aguirre, Kim Lajevardi, Debs Carey, Gwen Gardner, Patricia Josephine, and Rebecca Douglass!

Here I go again. Last month, I forgot to post. I can hardly believe that myself. Worse, I forgot again this month. Remembered, sort of, in time. Apologies to anyone who stopped by and I wasn't there. Next month has to be better.

This month's question: According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?

I'm all for anything that helps writers. Will the AI bring me coffee or a snack? Yeah. Will s/he correct my grammar? Microsoft does that already. Will the AI feed me ideas? Okay. I could handle another muse. Maybe the AI would do the laundry, feed my husband when I don't want to stop writing. 

As far as the AI writing my story? I think not. That would take away all the magic. The most fantastic thing about writing is the surprise when a character does something unexpected. Since an AI (I'm thinking something like Data on Star Trek) doesn't have emotions, it wouldn't appreciate the thrill of finishing a book or seeing it in print.

AIs can't appreciate the best part of writing.

Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today. 


18 comments:

  1. Hi, here's Pat Garcia. I love your questions. I sometime wonder why people think that AI is the answer to the solution of bad writing. There are so many things that AI can't do.
    Have a lovely October.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! AI can always bring me a good snack. :) I agree. Writing is too much fun! Why would I want AI to do it for me? Except maybe for help with blurbs, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are many things AI can't do, like write a manuscript. But it can do some things--sorry it doesn't include bringing us snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think AI is a threat to writers, but I don't know how we stop the bad stuff and keep the good things AI can do for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Susan. Most things have their good sides and bad.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on AI bringing snacks and. picking up a few chores. That I'd be on board with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I'm sure we could think of other things an AI could do to make our lives easier.

      Delete
  6. I like your idea. Lets relegate the AI to the role of domestic help and leave only creative endeavors to us, humans. Such a sweet fantasy!...

    Olga Godim from https://olgagodim.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed. The magic of writing for me is the creativity of it. Plus, it'd be adding a step to the process by having to think up prompts to give the AI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think of the prompts, Patricia. Good point.

      Delete
  8. I'm in the same camp. Reading is about relating to the experiences of others. What experience does AI truly have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I went stealth mode. Kim Lajevardi.

      Delete
  9. I like that. The best part of writing comes from the best part of us. Great post. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy cooking but I'd take an AI that does laundry and dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.