Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Movies



Considering my love of movies, you had to figure I’d eventually write about Christmas movies. When my kids were young, we watched all the kid-type movies: Frosty the Snowman, Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer, etc.

I never got all the sentiment over It’s a Wonderful Life. It’s an enjoyable movie but not anything special. That’s probably heresy, right? After I saw The Family Stone (a movie I watch over and over and still tear up each time) I had to rewatch Meet Me in St. Louis to see what was so special. Again, an enjoyable movie but not a favorite.

After Thanksgiving, Hubs and I babysat our grandkids for five days. During that time, we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I’d forgotten that Boris Karloff narrated it. Like all Dr. Seuss stories, this was so enjoyable. We also watched The Elf on the Shelf movie. I’d learned about the Elf last year when the grandkids showed us him sitting on top of a drapery rod. The movie made the story clearer. They could have done without the singing and just stuck with the story, but that’s just my opinion.

My all-time favorite movie is The Christmas Story (aka “you’ll shoot your eye out”). My kids got so tired of it (they’d leave the room), they gave me the VCR tape for Christmas. Since our VCR isn’t even hooked up anymore, I love the marathon so I can catch it anytime during the day. It’s the humor that attracts me. So much of the movie is reminiscent of my childhood—even though the movie takes place much earlier. I remember bundling up in snowsuits that were so bulky you could hardly move.

What’s your favorite holiday movie?

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I love It’s a Wonderful Life. Such a great, funny film, yet heart-wrenching at the same time. I can't say I'm big on Christmas films. But I'll watch most Christmasy films, so long as it isn't Bridge On The River Kwai! :?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Monique, over Bridge. Never thought of that as a Christmas film.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.