Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, December 3, 2016

#WeWriWa #8Sunday - Bygone Brother - Caught

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Writers share an 8 to10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other writers. You can find them here.

I'm continuing with a snippet from my PI mystery, The Case of the Bygone Brother, a contemporary cozy, that takes place in a small Lake Michigan resort town. Alex (Alexandra) O'Hara has taken over her dad's investigation agency, struggling to keep it going.  In this snippet, Alex and Nick are surveilling Mr. Yoder's activities, with Alex peeking in the basement window.
While I gaped at the sight in the basement, the back door opened and a woman said, “Hurry up, Killer, do your business and get back in here.”
Killer? Time to make tracks before some monster dog discovered a trespasser. I slowly straightened, keeping my back to the wall, and edged behind the bushes—without making noise or quick motions. As I put my toe into the fence link, vicious barking close by—real close by—spurred me up, then Killer grabbed the hem of my jeans.
As the dog tugged, Nick grabbed the back of my sweatshirt and started to haul me over. The bent tops of the chain links dug into my stomach. Killer hung on a moment longer then landed with a whimper before baying like a hound who’d treed his prey, while I lost my balance and landed on top of Nick—just like that time in the office.
“We have to stop meeting like this,” he whispered.


Alex O’Hara finally gets a case that will give her bottom line a much needed boost. She might even be able to change her diet from ramen noodles to prime rib. All she has to do is track down a man who’s been missing for over ten years. Piece of cake . . . until an old flame arrives and a mugger roughs her up with orders to back off.

51 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm extremely curious as to what was going on in the basement. And the last line was very humorous. I must read this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you have multiple 'meet cutes' in this book? Is that legal? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Diane, I am DYING to know what is in that basement! And Nick sounds like just the kind of man to have around in a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Diane, I am DYING to know what is in that basement! And Nick sounds like just the kind of man to have around in a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick's great. No surprise there. The surprise comes later. :-O

      Delete
  5. Terrific. Love the description and then the punch line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute. Love the way she lands on top of him. Glad the spikes in the chain link were bent over. That could have caused some serious injury.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. Didn't see that coming. Great set up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo what are they going to find?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great 8 sentences!
    Good luck and God's blessings Diane
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun little moment! I was waiting for Killer to be this tiny teacup size of a dog...I like this story a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We-ll, since Killer doesn't show up again...he's a cross between a rag mop and a small beagle. Thanks, Veronica.

      Delete
  11. What fun! Good thing she has Nick to catch her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I can always picture your scenes so clearly. I was expecting Killer to be a Chihuahua.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, we have a dachshund named Rudi at our house, but when the doorbell rings and we aren't expecting anybody, and Rudi is barking her little head off, I say "Down, Killer," in a loud command voice before I answer the door.
    I think it's Freudian that Alex constantly finds herself on top of Nick...

    ReplyDelete
  14. crisp, clean and curiosity-raising! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not an easy life, being a private investigator! Glad Nick was there (again) to catch her. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very exciting! And funny at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent showcase of the humor and the suspense in this book. Great job! Love this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia. As the editor, you should know. :)

      Delete
  18. *grins* I hope they don't ever stop meeting like this. Such a fun excerpt, Diane! I'm loving this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. Oh, yeah. They keep having these "moments" even in the next book.

      Delete
  19. Danger and humor all rolled into one. Enjoyed the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For a second, I thought Killer was going to be a tiny yappy dog. But that doesn't sound like a little dog at all! That was a narrow escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like everybody thought the same about the dog. No surprise. Maybe I should have made Killer a big dog. LOL

      Delete
  21. I wonder what was in that basement. Doesn't sound like anything good.
    That last line though... lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Classic line - perfectly played. Great job. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exciting and sexy- classic PI shenanigans. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This made me smile. I want to learn about killer. Great snippet

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting and intriguing...whats next? Awesome excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love his sense of humor! And what kind of dog was Killer? 'm imagining all sorts of things! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.