Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

#WeWriWa - #Sunday: Bygone Brother - Killer's Mom


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Writers share an 8 to10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other writers. You can find them here.

This is the last snippet from my PI mystery, The Case of the Bygone Brother, a contemporary cozy, that takes place in a small Lake Michigan resort town. Alex (Alexandra) O'Hara has taken over her dad's investigation agency, struggling to keep it going. Alex and Nick are surveilling a client's husband. This snippet picks up with Alex escaping over the fence after peeking in the basement window.
On the other side of the fence, practically nose-to-nose with me, stood Mother Nature’s idea of a joke--the monster dog, a cross between a rag mop and a small beagle. Nick and I scrambled back to the car.
Inside, I started laughing and Nick said, “Killer?”
That set me off again, “Don’t make me laugh or I’ll pee my pants,” I groaned—I couldn’t believe I said that.
I sobered quickly and, as I started the car, I said, “So much for catching my client’s husband doing the hanky-panky.”
“You didn’t get pictures? You have got to be kidding, after all that, you—”
“No hanky-panky—” shooting him a gloating look “—more like the waltz.”
“Say again.”
“Killer’s mother is a dance instructor.


Alex O’Hara finally gets a case that will give her bottom line a much needed boost. She might even be able to change her diet from ramen noodles to prime rib. All she has to do is track down a man who’s been missing for over ten years. Piece of cake . . . until an old flame arrives and a mugger roughs her up with orders to back off.

30 comments:

  1. Sounds like the guy was trying to surprise his wife. Glad Alex was able to get away from "Killer". LOL Great snippet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I wonder if waltzing is grounds for divorce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitly or maybe the tango. At least they are having a good laugh while investigating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me laugh. Thank you!

    So the next question: why is he learning to dance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made me laugh. Thank you!

    So the next question: why is he learning to dance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "a rag mop and a small beagle", oh that made me laugh so hard! Perfect visual! :D *high-fives*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, suspicious of a husband learning to dance. Now I wonder how the wife is going to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm and why would be learning to dance? I think she's about to get a good surprise rather than a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok that was just great all the way around, from the dog to the dance instructor. Really enjoyed these snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great snippet - humorous, and with great dialogue. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great banter! Love this snippet! And see how I can finally post comments on blogger?! A cookies problem...must have something to do with Santa! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I guess dancing lessons are good news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Love this exchange, and the bit about being nose-to-nose with the monster dog. Great snippet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great story. I loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great snippet!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, love this book. Excellent snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all the great comments. So glad you enjoyed the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, I'm sad we won't get any more excerpts from this book. I've been loving it! So enjoy the banter between these two!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is hysterical. I thought Killer might not live up to his name. LOL But the plot thickens. Killer's mom is a dance instructor. Great twist!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Killer sounds perfect! Poor guy, he's just trying to defend his people, and he gets laughed at.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was great. It was the image of the monster dog that got me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was great. It was the image of the monster dog that got me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie, I'm so glad you've enjoyed the banter.

    Jenna, laughing out loud. Don't you wonder why he's taking dance lessons? :)

    Thanks, Marissa.

    Thanks, Caitlin. When I watch the dog shows, I wonder what would happen if 2 disparate breeds intermingled. Poor Killer.

    Nick, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My daughter has been rooting for a Great Dane/chihuahua cross! I love your little rag mop/beagle.

    A waltz, eh? Methinks the wife might have the wrong idea, or these two have an interesting type of intro to hanky-panky (and, as I wrote this, I remembered that I've written a scene where a waltz led to hanky-panky, and then a proposal, so what do I know?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Shan. My DIL has a Great Dane and her mother has a Chihuahua. OMG.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.