Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

#IWSG: Creativity


Happy Insecure Writers Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. 

Thanks to this month's awesome hosts:   Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor,Ann V. Friend, JQ Rose, and Elizabeth Seckman!

Question: How has your creativity in life evolved since you began writing?

I've been writing for twenty-five years. Prior to that, I did a lot of needlework: counted cross-stitch, needlepoint, quilting, embroidery. Music has always been a part of my life. Even though I never played an instrument as a child, one of my first purchases as a new homeowner was a piano, and I took lessons. Trying to learn to play at twenty-nine was difficult, which is why I "made" my kids take piano lessons when they were young. Despite my lack of talent, I've always loved listening to music. Just not when I'm writing.

When I began seriously writing with the intention of being published, I let those other forms of creativity fall by the wayside. All my focus has been on the writing. I guess we all need a release for that creativity. Writing is mine. 

Because so many of you are participating in NaNo, my post is short. Good luck to you. Write on.

Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.



It Happened One Night meets Knight and Day

When elementary teacher Daria Mason left Iowa for a writers’ conference in New York City, she didn’t expect to come home with a wounded spy. Sam Jozwiak works for a shadow agency that gathers intel vital to U.S. security. From the moment he steals digital files from a Russian Mafia kingpin, Murphy’s Law takes over. No matter how he covers his tracks, the kingpin’s assassins find him. What’s worse than getting shot in the butt? Accepting help from an Iowa tourist. Thus, begins a road trip that takes Sam and Daria cross country with the assassins right behind them. 

32 comments:

  1. I let a lot of things fall by the wayside when I began to write. But I have always loved photography. I try to keep the two together as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot about photography--something else I used to do a lot. Now, I take quick pics for my grandkids. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, you're post sounds a whole lot like mine. I guess writing is a jealous creative pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. But you're so busy I'm amazed at all you get done.

      Delete
  3. I was never a creative person until I started writing in my 40's. It's opened up a new part of myself. That's awesome that you have been writing for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing what you discover about yourself?

      Delete
  4. I love music, too, but I'm not musically inclined. I do listen to music when I write, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only listen to music without lyrics. Otherwise, the words distract me. :)

      Delete
  5. I used to do all sorts of other crafty things, but now I don't even have time for photography. It happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could never give up stitch, just don't ask when I worked on it last. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I haven't given up all those crafts. I'm on hiatus.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your new release.
    I also can't listen to music when I write. I need quite to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though I enjoy and have dabbled in other creative pursuits (i.e. sewing, needlepoint, knitting - poorly) writing is the passion that stays with me always. If I'm not actively writing, I'm mentally composing and plotting. I never thought I'd be able to write with music on but after several distracting write ins, noise cancelling headphones and rock music keeps the fingers flying! Di, I miss being next to you in line, working down from 474 to 47 only to be kicked back to the end after missing two months because of job upheavals. Waving to you from far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was what happened. I miss you, too. I've thought about noise cancelling headphones. Maybe Santa will bring me a pair. :)

      Delete
  9. We could have exchanged posts today! I sometimes miss the other activities but know that time doesn't allow for everything. A shame, really. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go through (and consolidate) my boxes of material & craft accessories. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the work until writing this post.

      Delete
  10. I think most people can only focus on one big creative thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Alex. Writing looms large for my creativity.

      Delete
  11. There seems to be a common thread - writing demands we leave lots of other creative outlets behind, sadly.

    And music to your creative ears - I just bought One Red Shoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that music, Denise! I hope you enjoy ORS. I was surprised at how many wrote similar posts. I'm in good company.

      Delete
  12. I see that most writers have other creativity. It filters through our souls. Happy that writing is your outlet, but you may pick up a previous craft again. Personally I diversify. Writing is a great part of my life, but my other creative endeavors take over at times. It actually helps in my writing. While doing another craft, writing ideas pop into my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, Michael. I found some unfinished craft projects that will take a short time to finish. I think I'll get back to them.

      Delete
  13. I love crossstitch too and like you, I've let it fall by wayside for my writing. Not enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth, Susan. Not enough hours in the day.

      Delete
  14. I love trying all sorts of creative things, but music never worked out for me. I can't even keep a simple rhythm! Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I was the only non-musician when I worked in a flute store (they sold flute music along with flutes. They hired me for my computer skills. :)

      Delete
  15. I love how you incorporated a writing conference into your new book!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.