Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

#IWSG: Who Chooses the Genre?


Happy Insecure Writers Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the August 5 posting of the IWSG are Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!


Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

The form was always a full-length novel. I choose the genre in advance. I started writing in the 1990s. Since romance was so popular then, and I like reading romance, that's what I wrote. Somehow, a mystery always inserted itself into the story. So, my stories became more romantic suspense. After too many rejections to number, I took a break and wrote a science fiction romance for fun. A crazy premise--being kidnapped by aliens by mistake--and I just had fun with it. About that time (early 2000) a friend of a friend started a niche publishing house for fantasy, paranormal, and futuristic romances. She loved my story and bought it. Switched became my first published novel. I've written 6 novels, 1 novella, and am working on my 7th science fiction romance novel.

I also love cozy mysteries. So, I decided to write a cozy mystery series, featuring a female PI. Currently I'm working on the 4th book and my 2nd novella in that series. Remember the romantic suspense? I've published 2 full-length novels in that genre.

In my posts, I often mention my grandchildren, ages 13, 10, 5, and twins 2.5. The older two know about my writing, but since my stories are on the spicy side they aren't reading them yet. So I decided to write an action adventure story for them . . . and any other kid who likes to read space adventures.

As you can see, I choose what I want to write. Should I have stayed in one genre? Maybe. But why? If I don't write what I want, what's the point? I write to make money, but it doesn't pay the bills or exceed my social security. LOL So, if I'm not making a lot of money, I'd better have fun with this crazy career. 

And I do.


Here in Michigan, we're back under a stay-at-home order. With covid on the rise throughout the country, I hope you all are staying safe. Have a great month.

Less than one month left to enter the IWSG Anthology Contest


Guidelines and rules:

Word count: 4500-6000

Genre: Science Fiction

Theme: Dark Matter

Submissions accepted: May 6 - September 2, 2020

How to enter: Send your polished, formatted (double-spaced, no footers or headers), previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your full contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter IWSG group. 

Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.



25 comments:

  1. That's great how you have been able to combine genres and write in new ones. I've always loved fantasy but I'm really into mysteries too. So I might try writing a mystery new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've reached my limit as far as genres go. My g'kids want another adventure story. Not sure when I have time. LOL

      Delete
  2. Some of my favorite memories are our drives to MMRWA meetings talking plots! Ya done good, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Great that you know where you want to go with your writing. That makes a difference.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write where your inspiration takes you - and it's working, so don't mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm in a "dark" mood (more likely to happen these days than ever before) I too love a cozy mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a mystery that at the end justice wins.

      Delete
  6. Nice to roam the galaxy and have fun doing it. Lucky you. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I try to write something that I think other people will like, it always comes out terrible and I don't usually finish it.

    Writing is a lot of work, and for most it's not their full-time income. If you don't enjoy it, why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also choose what I want to write. I don't stay in one genre. Not at all. Why limit ourselves like that? I write romantic-suspense, sweet romance, paranormal romantic-suspense, non-fiction, and even middle grade stories for kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why limit ourselves, indeed. Sounds like you've found what you like.

      Delete
  9. When your muse is whispering in your ear, ya got to listen:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding a mystery to a story, no matter what the genre, is always a good thing in my opinion. Keep those mysteries going.

    And stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Writing in different genres is what I like to do too! Though, I stick to YA and upper YA. My family wants me to write a children's book for all my grand babies, but nothing has popped into my head. I'm sorry to hear the Michigan is again under a stay-at-home order. I pray everyday that this virus bites the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writing in different genres is exciting, but one genre usually dominate. I wrote one novel of women's fiction, one regency romance novella, but the majority of my writing is speculative fiction: fantasy or sci-fi, different sub-genres. It seems I need some sort of magic or science we don't yet have to get my creative juices going.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your answers are perfect. I'm not getting rich from this so like you, I may as well have fun with it. Stay safe and keep those precious grandchildren safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I agree with writing in multiple genres, and having fun doing it. California is trying to shut everything down again but too many people are protesting. I work a job that I constantly travel, so I haven't been able to participate in stay at home activities.

    Have a good weekend Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree. Write what you want, what makes you happy.

    I don't see there being a problem with writing in multiple genres, even under the same name. Many authors do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It must be a great feeling to enjoy what you’re writing about, as well as entertaining your loyal readers. It’s also impressive that you can skillfully navigate through different genres.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've definitely had a diverse career. I don't think many of us expect to make a ton from writing, so having fun is more important, definitely.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.