Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

#IWSG: A New Year

 


Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the January 6 posting of the IWSG are Ronel Janse van Vuuren , J Lenni Dorner, Gwen Gardner Sandra Cox, and Louise - Fundy Blue!

January 6 question - Being a writer, when you're reading someone else's work, what stops you from finishing a book/throws you out of the story/frustrates you the most about other people's books?

Bad grammar, spelling errors, typos. A few here and there are understandable. As often as I (and others) proof my stories, I'll still find a mistake after the book is published. But frequent errors tell me the book wasn't proofed well. That yanks me out of the story.

So, how is 2021 shaping up for you? After a year of little writing, I decided I had to get back to it. I set my goal for January, to start with, to write a paragraph a day. Baby steps. Even if I only have ten minutes before bed and haven't written yet, I can open the file and write one paragraph. 

I just gave you my key--open the file. Once the file is open, I have to read the previous page to get back into the story. Writing one paragraph is no pressure. What's happened in the past 5 days of 2021? I've written more than a paragraph each day. Actually, I've averaged over 200 words/day. The lack of expectation makes it easy. Takes away the pressure. Hopefully, I can keep up my pace or at least one paragraph a day.

Hope. That's my key word for 2021. I wrote about hope in my post on Paranormal Romantics. Hope is what's keeping me going. Hope for a better year.

I hope you have a good month.


Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.



36 comments:

  1. Hi and Happy New Year,

    Keep using that key and open the file. You'll make it happen with persistence and that book will be written.
    All the best.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your way of getting back into your writing. I've been writing regularly since November by doing something similar. I just try to write for about an hour and usually can write 500 words or more. A few sessions like that and I've got another chapter written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Way to go! Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  3. Hi Diane, Happy New Year. Bad grammar puts me off big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which means you already have more than a thousand words this year which is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo! I can't WAIT to read another book from you! I'm in the same boat. It was hard to get into another project after a 15-book series. Just a page or two . . . then once I had a word count going, being rabidly OCD and competitive, I'd just HAVE to write more the next day. Now on the last chapter of the first draft of that new book! Happy 2021, Di.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. This will be the 4th book in the Alex O'Hara PI mystery series. I'm excited about this project.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to return to Far Haven, Michigan and read more about Alex and Nick! I'm off to a slow start, too, but like you, I have big hopes for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, bad grammar (unless it's dialogue) and other errors put me off a book, too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Patty. I've had big goals that are intimidating. Baby steps is better. I'm enjoying this next Alex O'Hara book. She's getting married! What's not to like about that?

      Delete
  7. Hope is a great word for 2021! I didn't share it on my post today (maybe I will fix this), but my words for 2021 are: healing and choice.
    Way to go on your paragraph a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like healing and choice. Great words for this year.

      Delete
  8. Hope is a great key word, and a paragraph is definitely a doable goal. I might jump on that bandwagon on my tougher days. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Baby steps. I can manage that. Join me, I'd love the company.

      Delete
  9. Open the file or open the writing tablet or book. (Which is where all of my first drafts hang out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the act of opening the file (or wherever) that is a conscious effort to get back to writing. Last year, I couldn't manage that. Procrastination/avoidance kept me from writing. Knowing I only have to write a paragraph makes it easier and less intimidating.

      Delete
  10. I need to follow in your footsteps. Openning the file and writing for 10 minutes should be doable, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Plus, it's easier to keep writing once the file is open.

      Delete
  11. I read a tip to stop writing while you still know what the next line will be. Then leave yourself a note so you'll quickly be able to pick up at your next session. For me, it works better if the sessions are no more than a day apart.

    I hope your New Year is going well. I only read and reviewed 23 books last year, but my goal for this year is 30. My other goals are to publish another fiction book in 2021, do the Blogging from A to Z Challenge in April, and increase the number of authors helped by Operation Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ambitious goals. Good luck on accomplishing them. Thanks for cohosting this month.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Diane! I think "hope" is the perfect key word for 2021. I wish you a year full of hope fulfilled, my friend. It's been my experience that an initial step followed by another and another and another can carry you a long way. I'm exempting myself from goals and resolutions this year, but certainly, my focus is on family, fitness, and finishing my darn book (I got this from another IWSG member, but I can't remember who it was.) And I'll take your key word, if I may. It is hope that carries us through difficult times. Take care! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. And thanks for cohosting this month. You are so right about one step then another, etc. That's what my baby steps are doing. I like your family, fitness, and finishing the book. That sounds good to me.

      Delete
  13. Oh yes! Showing up is half the battle. If I open the file, and have left a question for myself from the last session, then I can start writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Deniz. Just opening the file gets me started.

      Delete
  14. Persistent typos are a good reason to put a book down. It means that they didn't care enough to spend hours and hours making it better.
    Good luck on your writing goals, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. One or two typos can happen, but repeated typos and/or grammar errors pull me right out of a book.

      Delete
  15. Good on you for getting back to your writing. It's tough after being away, isn't it?
    A pristine copy is my everlasting fantasy. No matter how many eyes have been on my story, a typo or homophone will pop up after publishing.
    Wishing you an exciting-writing year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandra. It is tough, but I'm hanging in there.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like your goal to write a paragraph a day, I may try that. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helping me write every day. Always more than 1 paragraph because I just can't stop. LOL

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you're making great progress. I find if I write every day, the flow gets easier and easier. Long breaks take the wind out of my sails. Here's to a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not writing much last year really did took the wind out of my sails. Now, I'm writing a little each day and it's easier than I thought.

      Delete
  18. That's so awesome, Diane. I was doing great when I told myself I just had to write 500 words per day. Once it was time to "get serious" and write 2000, I stalled. I should have stuck to the 500.

    That key really works!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.