Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, March 5, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wrecked Wedding: Who Was Holding Up Whom?

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thanks to everyone who stopped by last week. I really appreciate your support. 

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This follows immediately after last week's snippet. Police deputy Dawson (aka Deputy Dawg, Alex's nemesis since 2nd grade) interrupted the wedding ceremony by arresting Nick for the murder of Mike Amerson, Todd's stepfather.

BTW, since this is a work in progress, suggestions are always welcome.


Snippet: 

“Let’s deal with facts until we know more.”

Good advice from my dad. I needed to take it because I was speculating on what had just happened. Mike Amerson was dead. Not to speak ill of the dead, but he deserved whatever he got. But why arrest Nick? I’m the one who had motive. That man had been a thorn in my side for nearly a year. He’d threatened me, roughed me up, vowed to get even when I broke his nose.

Nick never did anything to the brute.


 And a little more:  

As soon as the limo stopped in front of the red brick Public Safety building, Todd jumped out. He’d taken two loping strides before looking back at me trying to slide out of the limo. He raced back, saw that Pop had opened the limo door, hesitated until I caught up with the boy—young man. Almost sixteen.

I clutched his hand. “It will be all right.”

“Hey,” the driver called. “Want me to wait?”

I glanced over my shoulder. “Yes. No. I don’t know.” I couldn’t think.

“I’m scheduled until seven.”

“Wait then.” Again, hitching up the too-tight skirt I ran up the steps.

Pop held my arm, but I don’t know who was holding up whom. He breathed so hard I worried about him having a heart attack. My first thought was to slow down, but I needed to find out about Nick. Todd raced ahead to get the door. That boy’s manners overcame his need to know what had gone wrong.


Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, so much to take in with this snippet! But the overall feeling I get is that some (including a certain police officer) have a vendetta against Nick. I'm very intrigued with this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. He has a vendetta, all right, but it's toward Alex.

      Delete
  2. Very intense! Wow...but leaves me eager to know more of course. Really a well done snippet and quite the engrossing story to date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo good! Visual, emotional without being cluttered. The reader is right there with her looking for answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! There was no good place for you to stop the snippet for this week! lol Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. It's always hard to know where to stop.

      Delete
  6. Well done! I hear the character's voice in the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This excerpt captured my attention with no trouble at all. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your snippet (and this story) has me on the edge of my seat each week! I so want to know what the heck is going on! You've hooked me but good, Diane! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you see my big grin? Your comment made my day.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.