Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, July 23, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: Alex isn't charged...yet


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thanks to everyone who commented last week.

I'm very excited to say that I've reached the halfway point on this book. It's been a long time since I started it. This week, I felt energized enough to push myself to write. Your encouraging comments have certainly helped. Thanks so much.

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This snippet picks up where we left off last week. Everybody's still in the police station.


 Snippet

Deputy Jenny Sampson opened the door to the interview room. “Chief wants to talk to you, Alex.”

“Hans, will you come, too?”

Maybe he could keep me from blurting out something that would incriminate Nick.

“I planned to.” He had a boyish grin that was supposed to reassure me. Fat chance. Nothing short of Nick’s release would assure me.

“I’m coming, too,” Pop said.


 And a bit more: 

“No.” Jenny held up her hand. “Chief wants to talk to each of you separately. Hey, Hans. How ya doin’?”

He eyed her closely, especially her name badge. “Jenny? Little Jenny Hogmeier? You married Joe Sampson?” He gave her a big hug. “When did you grow up?”

“Grew up and had a baby, too.”

Small towns. Everybody knew everybody. And that meant, by now, everybody knew about Nick.

“Excuse me.” Tony interrupted. “We can do Old Home Week another time. My son is in jail, and I want him released.”

Jenny shrugged while Hans gave her a sheepish grin.

She led Hans and me to another interview room. Chief Hoesen sat on one side of a plain fake wood table. He had a yellow legal pad in front of him. He indicated that I should sit across from him.

He glanced up at Hans. “Lexie doesn’t need a lawyer present. She isn’t being charged.”

“Yet.” Hans sat next to me but slightly off to the side.

Gee, thanks, guy. Give the chief a reason to arrest me, too.

 

Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.



19 comments:

  1. "Small towns" - that says it all. Everybody knows everything about everyone . . . but maybe not, in this case. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. Can't keep too many secrets in a small town.

      Delete
  2. Definitely feeling the small town here. Hopefully that can work in Alex and Nick's favor instead of against them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh - what subtly is hidden by what Hans meant? Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for tweeting. I'm not sure if Hans is fooling around or being mysterious to muddy the waters. Guess I'd better figure that out, huh?

      Delete
  4. I think Hans is being smart I enjoy the way this goes back and forth from the small town vibe to the police procedural. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica. Hans came from the Big City (at least it's big in Michigan, LOL) back to his small town. He'll need to be reined in. Think Alex can do that?

      Delete
  5. Hans is correct to stay with her. Less chance for bullying too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Though the chief is a good man, he has a murder to solve. He could put pressure on Alex to make her talk more.

      Delete
  6. I love the small town feel, but there's always a flip side to the ideal of Norman Rockwell. She definitely needs someone with her if she's going to be questioned. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, she doesn't need a lawyer, but always a good idea when questioned by the police. And she knows it.

      Delete
  7. I loved the small-town feel of the dialogue between Jenny and Hans. You ended at a great place that keeps us looking forward to the next part. Glad you're making so much progress on your manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least Alex is keeping it together--enough to rely on the lawyer to keep her from saying things she shouldn't. :-) Poor Alex...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I'm with Alex, Hans should have not said anything. Intrigued on the questioning :)

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.