Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, July 30, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: Explain to Your Lawyer, Alex


 Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thanks to everyone who commented last week.

I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This snippet picks up where we left off last week. Everybody's still in the police station.

 Snippet:

“May I assume you are recording this conversation?” Hans pointed to a video camera in the upper corner facing me.

When Chief Hoesen nodded, I looked in the corner then turned to face Hans. “Yet?” I mouthed.

He didn’t instill in me the confidence I had in his father. Instead of the classy elegance Pieter presented, Hans looked like a farm worker—about five-ten and a solid two hundred pounds, in his overalls he didn’t look like a lawyer. Clean-shaven and his blond hair barber-cut instead of a stylist, he could’ve posed for a John Deere calendar.

Did I need him with me? I’d known Dan Hoesen all my life. When his high school girlfriend babysat me, he often came along. He’d gotten me out of more scrapes as kid . . . and as an adult. He even acted like my surrogate father when the Pops moved to Arizona. We had a great relationship.

Until now. 

And a little more:

He eyed me sternly before nodding to the recording device. “Statement given by Alexandra O’Hara Palzetti, spouse of the accused Nicholas Palzetti.”

“A moment, Chief?” Hans said. “I understood the wedding was interrupted by your deputy before the vows were taken.”

“Deputy, stop the recording.”

That’s when I noticed the two-way mirror behind the chief. “Deputy? Who’s behind the mirror? Jenny?”

“No,” Dan said. “The sheriff’s office loaned us a couple of deputies for the summer.”

I knew that. When our small town exploded with summer visitors, they always brought in help from the sheriff’s department and the police academy.

At least it wasn’t Jenny, though I knew I could depend on her discretion. Better than that dope Deputy Dawg. When Nick got out of jail, I was going to kill that jerk. Oops, better not say that out loud.

Dan eyed me. “Do you want to explain to your lawyer, Lexie?”

“About . . .” I’d lost the train of thought.

“Your marriage.”

“Oh, right. Nick and I were married on Christmas Eve last year by a judge. Never mind why we didn’t tell anyone. His mother wanted us to marry in the church. That’s what was interrupted by Deputy Dawg.” I glared at Dan. “I hope you gave that jerk what for. He didn’t have to stalk in and arrest Nick at the altar.”


Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.



15 comments:

  1. I love Alex's internal thoughts here! And I wonder if there was more to the interruption than we know. Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the 'interruption' was intentional, although I'm glad they are actually married, Surely, their marriage is legal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I don't think she's taking all this seriously enough! Good thing she has her lawyer, loved his description. Thanks for resolving the issue of whether she is or isn't actually married! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least now they should understand that she can't testify against Nick. Maybe that's why Deputy Dawg interrupted the ceremony--hoping they could then compel Alex to testify against him. Great snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - she threw a wrench in their plans - being already married. I have this great visual of Deputy Dawg - LOL - Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Think Don Knotts, sort of. Physically, but not so goofy.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the visual. Hans posing for a John Deere calendar! Nice!

    Still... poor Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great description of Hans, but she might be underestimating him?

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.