Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

#WeWriWa - #8Sunday: Meddling Mama


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hops for everyone who loves to read and write! Writers share an 8 to10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other writers. You can find them here.

My snippet is from my upcoming release, THE CASE OF THE MEDDLING MAMA, an Alex O'Hara Novel, third in my PI mystery series. Along with some creative punctuation, it hasn't been edited yet, so suggestions are welcome.

This snippet comes immediately after last week's. The ending of which said Nick had disappeared on their wedding night.

When Nick showed up two and a half months later, I had second thoughts about being married to him. If his job took him away at the drop of a hat, he could leave any time, even if he did come back. But when a guy leaves you on your wedding night with no warning, no word for nearly three months, wouldn’t you have reservations?
We were just starting to hash things out when his mother showed up last week, declaring she’d left his father and was bunking in with me until she found an apartment. What could I say, no? I don’t think so.
I was still in a state of shock, so was Nick, who’d moved into the B&B owned by the biggest blabbermouth in the county because I wouldn’t sleep with him while his mother slept in the next room. Two days later, his agency sent him off on another mission—typical. We needed to talk, but how could we if he wasn’t around? See what I mean about reservations?


Once again, Alex O’Hara is up to her ears in mysteries. After surviving an attempted murder, all she wants is R&R time with Nick Palzetti. But his mother leaving his father (“that horse’s patoot”) and moving in with Alex puts a crimp in their plans. Then Nick leaves on assignment and the teen she rescued from an abusive father believes his buddy is doing drugs. Meanwhile, Alex has two easy cases to take her mind off her shaky relationship with Nick—a philandering husband and a background check on a client’s boyfriend. Piece of cake.



Release date: April 17, 2017. Available for pre-order at the special price of $1.99.




30 comments:

  1. I totally understand why she has reservations. I've loved the excerpts so far, and pre-ordered. Can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a horrendous tragedy ... or a rollicking comedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it could be either. I'm shooting for the latter...mostly.

      Delete
  3. The poor woman. She has a lot going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tone of this, Diane. Like Ed said, it has elements of misery and hilarity all intertwined

    ReplyDelete
  5. They need to make reservations someplace away from meddling folk and work on their problems! But that would make for a short story, not a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it would, Nancy. Every time she wants to talk, his job calls him away. Not good.

      Delete
  6. Oh yikes, that marriage has some issues.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What in the world is going on here? Get home right now and be a husband. Get the Mom a different place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Charmaine. That would end the story real quick.

      Delete
  8. This is a challenging situation definitely. Sounds like she needs to schedule a honeymoon so she can be alone with her husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they need, Christina. A honeymoon.

      Delete
  9. Nick's job is a definite problem all right! Did they have the same issues when they were dating or is this a new wrinkle? Enjoyed the snippet though, glad it's your character, not me with these challenges LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me, either, Veronica. I'd kick his butt out and change the locks.

      Delete
  10. This seems like desertion. If my husband had left on our wedding night with no explanation, when he showed back up it would be to sign divorce papers! She's got quite a problem that I hope he comes back to fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at your solution to his return, Jenna. He'd better fix things right away.

      Delete
  11. It doesn't seem much of a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is in quandary! hope there's a whole lot more to his leaving than how it appears right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't say I envy her situation. Wonder how she'll work it out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the light, bouncy feel of her thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I'd have more than a few reservations. It's hard to "stand by your man" when he's racing through the door. lol

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.