Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

#WeWriWa - #8Sunday The Protector


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hops for everyone who loves to read and write! Writers share an 8 to10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other writers. You can find them here.

This week's snippet is from my sci-fi romance, The Protector (An Outer Rim Novel)
Apologies for the creative punctuation, which was done to keep within the sentence limit. 


When she heard a rustle, Rissa stopped in the middle of the sanitary facility. “Whoever you are, come out—right now.”
Another rustle, the sound of feet lightly hitting the floor, the lock slid open then slowly the door moved.
“Please,” a soft voice—sounded like a young girl—whispered, “don’t hurt us.”
“Come out where I can see you,” Rissa, too, whispered.
A tall, dark-haired teen stepped out, followed by a smaller girl with light brown hair. They both looked terrified, their hair matted, dirt smudged their faces, clothes were filthy. The smells emanating from them contributed to the general san-fac odors, and Rissa did her best not to react.
Holding the other girl behind her, the tall one stepped forward, jutting out her chin. “We are not going back.”


Who knew rescuing two girls from traffickers would bring down a world of hurt?

After tavern owner Rissa Dix rescues two girls from a slave ship, she must rally the townsfolk to prevent traffickers from returning. Mining heir Dillan Rusteran has loved her for years. Little do they know that by rescuing more children they're tangling with a galactic trafficking ring.





I'm traveling this weekend, but I'll be sure to get to everyone. Eventually.


13 comments:

  1. From their description, it sounds like the two women have been through something horrible. I understand why they wouldn't want to go back. Intriguing snippet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that if you rescue a pair like this, you now become owner of their destinies, for good or ill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to this one!

    I'm almost finished reading The Case of the Meddling Mama. I love how you've woven all the little pieces of the heroine's life together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We are not going back" says it all. Terrific beginning to what will be a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that one stepped forward, determined to shield the other. This reveals an interesting fact of their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, sounds like she'll have no choice but to help these two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A vivid scene, nice use of all the senses here (even if I am figuratively holding my nose now LOL), and I can see right away the stakes are high. Loved the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Filthy yet defiant! Yes, she'll have her hands full.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not what you expect to find in the restroom! Compelling scene, Di!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo! I'm excited about this project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all so much for your comments. Rissa did find more than she bargained for in the lavatory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo This opens up lots of questions. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just enough information to make me curious--hint of a story to come. Nice snippet!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.