Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Going to Mars



If you had the chance to go to Mars, would you? What if this was your dream? The dream you’ve had since you were a child?

Your chance is here. A group of people are actually preparing for just such a trip. A one way trip. And there lies the kicker. You would leave everything behind—your family, your home, the world you know—to be the first inhabitants on another planet.

Mars One plans to “establish a permanent human settlement on Mars in 2023.” http://www.mars-one.com/en/about-mars-one/about-mars-one   Here's a rendition of what the settlement should look like in 2024 when the second group arrives.
Credit: Mars One / Bryan Versteeg
This project has engendered a lot of interest because over 78,000 people applied to go within two weeks of the announcement back in April. First they’ll send cargo—food, supplies, equipment to build the habitat—then the humans. Four at a time, once very two years. I can't imagine what the selection process will be, especially with so many applicants. 

What would it take to set off on such an adventure? The Mars One website has a very extensive list of qualifications. Major requirements include resiliency, adaptability, curiosity, ability to trust, and creativity/resourcefulness.

Periodically, I’ve blogged about pioneers and the thrill of adventuring into space. I write about space travel, but I never really thought about all the consequences. Like never returning to Earth. Never holding my husband, children, grandchildren again. Then there are things like once you get into the spaceship, you'll never breathe fresh air again. Never walk through forests, swim in the lake/ocean, feel the grass under your bare toes.

So knowing all that, would you go? They’re still taking applicants.


18 comments:

  1. As much as I'd love to go simply for the experience, I would not want to leave everything behind, especially my family. Being a few hours away is one thing, but never being able to see them again is another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I've said about big cities (Chicago/Detroit), great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Thanks for stopping by, Jess.

      Delete
  2. No way, Jose! I'll keep my feet firmly planted on terra firma, thankyouverymuch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope! Sorry, I can't even move away from my family now, lol. I'll have to live vicariously through books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Jennifer. Isn't it great, though, that we can experience many adventures through books?

      Delete
  4. I couldn't do it either! It's an exciting idea, and (if I'm still around) I know I'll watch the results with a lot of interest - Talk about a step for mankind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm still around to watch the new settlers on TV. Thanks for stopping by, Florence.

      Delete
  5. Interesting...I hadn't heard about this! I'd find it hard to leave those things you mentioned, Diane. Trees, air, grass.

    But I also foresee the possibility of things going very wrong. Or, using my writer's imagination, this could be a great place to set a horror book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but I wouldn't go. I can't imagine leaving all that I would have to leave behind. Maybe I'm not adventurous, but I think it's more about the loss of home and family which would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I would love the adventure, it would break my heart if I couldn't see my family and friends again. If I were younger and had no emotional ties here on terra firm, I could see myself filling out the application. I've always been a bit too curious for my own good. Of course, if Mars One didn't promise to provide a sufficient amount of chocolate to the colonists, that would be a deal breaker for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, no chocolate would do it for me, too.

      Delete
  8. Darn. I didn't notice that autocorrect removed the letter a at the end of the word firma in terra firma. And it just tried to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes skimmed right over that. So much for my attention to detail. :)

      Delete
  9. Guess I have to agree with the others; wouldn't be able to leave everyone I love behind. Or all my books! But if you think about it, that's pretty much what the first settlers to this country did. Most never again saw the loved ones they left behind. Sailing cross the ocean probably seemed as far as traveling to Mars does to us now. I often think about how brave they were, as well as the pioneers who went west. I don't think I would have been that brave even then. So I certainly won't be applying to colonize Mars.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.