Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Who's For Dinner? with Maureen L. Bonatch


Author Maureen Bonatch is here to share with us her idea of a great dinner partner. All right, Maureen. Tell us.

There’s no doubt about it. I’m a great, big scaredy cat.
While growing up I never watched, or read, anything frightening—let alone terrifying. I immersed myself in the wholesome stories of The Little House on the Prairie, or Sweet Valley High, and then slowly weaned into a world of fantasy with the Lord of the Rings series and Madeleine L’Engle.
That was, until I found Stephen. Stephen King, that is.

I refer to him as Stephen to my friends and family, as if we’ve met before and are good friends. In my mind, I’ve known Stephen for what seems like forever. Yet I’ve never had the pleasure of actually meeting him, or having him for dinner.
Although quite different from my usual choice of reading, from the moment I read one of his novels, I was hooked. At dinner I’d explain to my literary idol about how I began devouring his horror stories and begging for seconds more thoroughly than the lovely meal we would enjoy. I’d avoid ordering pie for dessert due to thoughts of his novel, Thinner, written under his pseudonym, emerging in my mind.  
Then I’d ask him about his story, The Stand, and what inspired him to re-release it as an even longer uncut story. The only book I’ve ever read a second time. Technically, it was the new extended version so it wasn’t the same book, but it came close enough for me—a person who has way too long of a TBR list to re-read a book. I’d chuckle and share with him how since the day I hefted that massive tome of a novel, I’ve been unable to look at a crow without thinking of Randall Flagg.
I’d like to listen to his replies and see if his responses sounded as seamless and believable as his unbelievable storylines. Then I’d inquire what promoted him to insist upon a cameo appearance when his novels were made into film, and how it felt to actively participate in one of his stories.
I’d shake my fist in jest, and politely demand he explain his rationale for almost always breaking the unwritten writing rules by infuriating the reader with a cruel ending. Yet it never chased this reader away, but instead left me begging for more.
If the conversation was going well, I’d probe a bit about just how personal Lisey’s Story might be, and if he wrote this envisioning what might happen after his own demise.
As dinner wound down, I’d hint how much I’d love an invite to his writing room, as if it might provide a peek into the recess of his mind and how he successfully inspired me to seek the extraordinary in the world for my own stories.
I’d dip my head and push into line with countless other writers and tell him how his book On Writing inspired me to gather courage and pursue my own writing dreams.
I’m still a wimp. I jump at anything that goes bump in the night. But would I like another ruthless, extraordinary, horror story from Stephen?
Yes, Please. I’ll have second helpings.

About Maureen:
Maureen writes stories in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania that boast laughter, light suspense and something magical in the hope of sharing her love of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary world. She writes Paranormal Romance and Fantasy.

Contact Information:
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3103486.Maureen_L_Bonatch


Moon, Mist & Magic (Anthology)

Anthology Blurb:
Get ready to be enchanted by mythical beasts, magical creatures, and moonlit nights. Enjoy your favorite author, and perhaps discover someone new, in these five fantastic tales of paranormal romance woven with moon, mist, and magic… ​   

Witch You Were Here, by Maureen L. Bonatch

Lucy is a witch with a successful business righting magical mischief. A call for help from her high-school heartache, Shane, prompts Lucy to manage his magical mayhem herself. No longer a nervous, hormonal, teenager, Lucy takes the case to force an apology and bury her past humiliation. To her surprise, Shane insists he couldn’t forget Lucy—because she hexed him ten years ago. Will Shane and Lucy put their past behind them, or will the spell prove permanent?

Buy Links:



Maureen, what a delightful dinner that would be. If you ever do meet Stephen in person, after you gush like a fangirl, please tell him I really enjoyed his book On Writing, too. Best wishes on your newest release.

18 comments:

  1. Diane, thank you so much for having me today! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. King can surely write the chillers. Christine haunts me every time I climb into a vintage car. May I join your dinner party?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I'd love to have you! Yes, Mr. King's stories have a way of haunting you long after you finish, don't they? So glad to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you'd have a grand time, but I won't ask to join you. I've never found the courage to read King's books. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Marissa! Mr. King does require a certain palate to enjoy lol

      Delete
  5. OH wow, LOVE this!! Not only do I ADORE his books, I love the questions you would ask him. May I join you as well? What a treat...a spooky, chilling, terrifying treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great dinner conversation. I'd happily be a fly on the wall just to listen in! Good luck with the new story, Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that would be an interesting dinner party, Maureen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by Leah & Elizabeth 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great dinner....although I'd like to know how he stays sane and 'normal' writing what he does LOL!

    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I join you? He'd be a wonderful brain to pick. Really enjoyed this post, Maureen. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, ladies! I think "normal" is hard to define for most anyone, lol. Yes, I'd love to pick his brain! My questions would be endless :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If love to be included.... as long as he didn't bring Pennywise as a guest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Alicia- nobody wants that! The dinner would certainly end early! Yikes! Thanks for stopping by to hang out with Stephen ;)

      Delete
  13. I'd love to join you and Steven for dinner. Conversations would be unforgettable and I have a few questions of my own. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by Amy. Although I believe your chances of a dinner with Stephen may be better than mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.