Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

#IWSG & C. Lee McKenzie's Shattered and Review

 

Here we are in February already. Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the February 2 posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Jacqui Murray, Sandra Cox, and Lee Lowery!

Last month, I wrote that one of my goals for this year is to ramp up my blog. I've done that! I resumed Monday Morning Musing; welcomed guests on Thursdays (with today's exception); and began Friday Favorites, where I share my favorite movie scene, recipes, books, etc. I'm having a lot of fun doing so.

While I'm doing well with the blog, I haven't been as faithful to my WIP. I am sharing snippets from The Case of the Wedding Wrecker, every weekend with the Weekend Writing Warriors (#WeWriWa). I'm just not progressing the way I want to on the story itself. 

I did have a breakthrough on Monday. The story is written in the 1st Person, from Alex O'Hara's point of view. In order to get the details straight, I wrote a side piece in the villain's POV. I'll probably use some of it when that person tells what happened to the police, and Alex, of course. So, I feel like I got something done.

With cases of covid omicron increasing in our area, I'm not comfortable being around a lot of non-family people. So, I've temporarily stopped going to our local writers' group. I miss our leader (our own Jean Davis), the other writers, and their encouragement, but I have to protect myself and my husband. I know I'm not alone, but I'm upset that we're going on 2 years of our lives being disrupted by the virus. All of our family are vaccinated except for the 4-year-old twins, who just got their MMR shots. They were so excited because they thought they were getting covid shots. ðŸ˜Š


For a special treat, I'm hosting our own C. Lee McKenzie with info about her book, Shattered. My review is at the end.


C. Lee McKenzie has a background in Linguistics and Inter-Cultural Communication, but these days her greatest passion is writing for young readers. She has published five young adult novels: Sliding on the Edge, The Princess of Las Pulgas, Double Negative, and Sudden Secrets. Not Guilty is her most recent one.

          Sometimes she likes to jump into the world of the fantastic and when she does, she writes for the middle-grade reader. Some Very Messy Medieval Magick is the third book in the time-travel adventures of Pete and Weasel, with Alligators Overhead and The Great Time Lock Disaster being the first two. Sign of the Green Dragon, a stand-alone, takes the reader into ancient Chinese dragon myths and a quest for treasure.

          When she’s not writing she’s hiking or traveling or practicing yoga or asking a lot of questions about things she still doesn’t understand.

For more information on Lee and her writing, connect with her on FacebookTwitterInstagram and at her Website



Blurb: 

Courage put Libby Brown into the final selection for the Olympics, but betrayal crushed her spine and her chance at the Gold. Now she has two choices, use her courage to put her life back together, or remain shattered forever.

 

Buy Links:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Betrayal-C-Lee-McKenzie-ebook/dp/B09JYYJG7V/ref=sr_1_1

 

Smashwords: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shattered-c-lee-mckenzie/1140389252?ean=2940165059940

 

Evernight Teen: https://www.evernightteen.com/shattered-by-c-lee-mckenzie/

 

 Excerpt:

      I knew hearts didn’t stop beating until you died, yet I was certain mine had just stuttered to a halt. I couldn’t breathe. My lungs refused to expand. My throat went dry. I’d planned most of my life for this one year. I’d worked out, built my strength, gone to ski camps, kept at it until I’d made it through the selection process—until I’d almost made the US Olympic slalom team. I had my passport. I’d packed my bags weeks ago. Now, my mother was telling me I couldn’t do what I’d lived for all these years?

     My heart kicked in and air filled my chest. “Shut up! Shut up!” In my mind, I screamed, but that’s not the way I heard my voice. Shut up sounded like a whimper.

      “Libby, stop.” Dad was back, his hand on my shoulder, his face filled with pain. “Please, stop.”

     His calm presence and the terrible sound of his plea brought me up short.

     I gulped back the ragged clutch that filled my throat. “Why? Why can’t I ski with my team?”

     Then I glanced down. Mom was lying across the foot of the bed. She was lying across my legs, and I didn’t feel the weight of my mother’s body.

 

My Review:

At first, I was hesitant to read this story. I thought it would be a real downer. Turns out I was wrong. Yes, Libby is injured. Very badly injured. An accident (or was it?) shatters her spine and her hopes of making it to the Olympics. She goes through the stages of grief, as she mourns the loss of her career. Yet, there is hope for her. The title should've clued me in. Courage. Libby's courage drags her from the darkness of despair to the light of hope. She doesn't do it alone. Doctors, therapists, and new friends help her on the road to recovery. Harley, a new girlfriend with a wicked sense of humor, plays a big role in helping Libby figure out her new life. (BTW, I loved Harley.) I'm so glad I read Shattered. Ms. McKenzie makes Libby come alive. I hurt for her and cheered for her as she worked her way through disappointment to triumph.

 



Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.



I hope you're staying safe and warm. See you next month.


33 comments:

  1. Glad you had a breakthrough in your writing. My critique group is still meeting on Zoom, and we actually meet more this way. Like you, I've had to stop seeing many people with the high COVID numbers in Michigan to protect my 91 year old mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Zoom is a great tool. My book group is meeting via Zoom.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    It's nice to hear that you're getting back into blogging and it seems to be getting you attention. Keep up the good work. Also, thanks for featuring Lee.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  3. Covid Omicron has made us so wary of being around non-familiar people. I too am apprehensive about being in close proximity of strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee will be thrilled you read her book.
    Glad you had a breakthrough in your story.
    Probably wise to hide. Doesn't matter if one is vaxed now - everyone is getting it and spreading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the pleasure of readings Lee's Shattered. It's a wonderful and inspiring story. Sorry about the increased covid breakouts near you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to stay safe these days. Shattered is definitely inspiring.

      Delete
  6. I know! It's like little kids or housework - you can't take care of both. Glad you're back sharing bits and pieces of your new work on WeWriWa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me--I'd rather play with the kiddos than do housework. I'd rather do anything than housework. LOL I really enjoy the story of your early writing days.

      Delete
  7. Auww, we miss you too! But yes, stay healthy and only do what you feel comfortable doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This darn covid better let up soon. I want to do that craft show in March with you.

      Delete
  8. I read shattered, too. Loved it. Lee delivers, as always.

    Covid is endemic now (like the flu), and Omicron is mild. Live your life. I've been working full time in the hospital since this whole thing started, and I haven't had the vaccine or the illness. The vaccine scares me as much as covid does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a jam-packed post, Diane. I'm so glad you've come back to blogging regularly and I like your plan for posts during the week. It sounds very interesting with just enough variety. I look forward to stopping in.

    Good luck with your WIP and I hope you can return to in-person sessions with your writing group soon.

    Thank you so much for the feature and the review. That was wonderful of you. And I'm pleased Shattered wasn't depressing. I struggled to keep it from being a downer of a book. Harley helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I liked that Shattered was realistic. Harley definitely helped, esp. introducing Lilly to guys who could help her emotionally and physically.

      Delete
  10. Between snow storms and Covid, I've not been to church in over a month. I do plan on going this weekend, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our church offers virtual services, along with in-person. Streaming the service has been such a blessing, esp. when it wasn't safe for me to leave Hubs alone. Now with covid ramping up again, I am so grateful I can participate yet be home safe.

      Delete
  11. You're not alone staying home and safe. While I did sign up for this year's Retreat, I'm holding my breath as to whether I'll actually get to attend or not. I'm hoping... You're in good company in being housebound and so happy to hear of a writing breakthrough. I find being in the villain's head and their POV both scary and interesting at the same time. Makes for some great writing! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. Being in the villain's head was interesting. I got to know the person better and what motivated them. (I'm trying not to use personal pronouns that might give away the gender.) That piece helped a lot. I'm not sure about going to retreat. I want to and yet...

      Delete
  12. Shattered is great, isn't it?
    That's cute about the twins thinking they were getting COVID vaccines. Our twins, who are eight, were excited about getting COVID vaccines too. I wonder if COVID isn't a greater fear for kids than we realize.
    Kudos on your writing breakthrough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always inspired by athletes who work their way through an accident. I think the kids are mirroring the fear they see in us adults. The twins' sister (age 6) was excited that she got her vax. So were their older cousins.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the breakthrough! It's a miracle there's any creativity in this crazy world. Love the twins reaction to their shots! Although it gives one pause to consider how much they've absorbed about the pandemic.

    Lee's new book sounds awesome! Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I haven't had a lot of creativity in 2 years, so this was pretty great for me. I hope you get to read Shattered soon.

      Delete
  14. This damned virus disrupts so much in our lives. But I'm glad you're having fun with your blog.
    Great review of Shattered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love characters that have enough snark to make me laugh again and again. The book sounds great. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're being careful with Covid like you. I have a 4 year old granddaughter that I watch everyday so we have to think about her. I'm going to try and do better on my blog but not until June. LOL Reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy to know you are enjoying your blog again. I needed to hear that since I am deciding how to proceed with my blog this year. I loved Shattered. Like you, I was afraid it would be depressing, but instead, it is a story of triumph. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A side piece of another character's POV is a great way to unfold your story when you get stuck. It's easy to get pushed back in a writing project. I'm going on 5 months late into releasing my collection of short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Harley, too! Such great characters overall, though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Harley as well - a great character!

    Writing from the villain's pov is fun. I haven't included any of the villain's pov in my stories at this point, but I have written some out to get the person figured out!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.