Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

#IWSG: Regrets


Happy Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Thanks, Alex, for starting this group and keeping it going. We are rockin' the neurotic writing world!

The awesome co-hosts for the January 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, Olga Godim, Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster, and Chemist Ken!

Happy New Year!

How is your new year starting? Hubs & I stayed up to watch the ball drop in NYC then promptly went to bed. We're not as young as we used to be when we went out with friends or had friends come to our house. This year, we even stayed up later than my younger sisters. 😀

My first goal for 2022 is a larger presence online, especially with my woefully neglected blog. Sure, every month I posted with this wonderful group, and I fulfilled my commitment to post monthly on the Paranormal Romantics blog. But, here on my own blog, I haven't done much.

That's changing. I rejoined the Weekend Writing Warriors on January 1st. Two days ago, I resurrected my "Monday Morning Musing." Plus, I'm going to be more active recruiting guests--as evidenced yesterday by my friend (and fellow IWSG'er) J.Q. Rose as she celebrates a book birthday. So, here's an open invitation to you all. I love guests. Normally, Thursdays will be my guest day. Contact me if you'd like to visit by emailing me at dmburton72@gmail.com. Remind me that you're an IWSG'er.

Now for this month's optional question. BTW, I love these questions.

What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?

I regret not starting sooner. I've been seriously writing for publication since 1993. My kids were about to head off for college. Time for me, instead of my life revolving around their activities and my volunteering, especially with Girl Scouts. I don't regret that time, but I wish I'd started writing sooner. Unless I turn back time, LOL, I can't overcome that. 

Also, I regret not finding this group sooner. When I joined in September, 2013, I was number 300-something. My point being 300+ people knew about this group before I did. Many have dropped out since then (I'm number 30 now), but I'm glad I stuck around. You all have encouraged me, sympathized and supported me through life's challenges.

Good luck as we all work our way through another year. This one has to be better than 2020 or 2021. And if it isn't, we carry on.

Click here to find others on the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Or go to IWSG on Facebook to see who’s blogging today.

Happy Writing!

40 comments:

  1. Hi and Happy New Year!

    I don't remember what number I started with when I signed up for the IWSG, but it was somewhere between 250 and 270 I am not sure, but I don't regret hanging in there. This is the only place where I blog consistently once a month, and for right now I am happy with that.
    Wishing you the best in bringing your blogging life back to life.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. No regrets from me either. Love this group.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're going to be blogging more. I joined the IWSG much later than you, but I'm glad I found this group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From three hundred to number thirty! Wow. Good for you although that's sad to think we've lost that many along the way.
    Like me, you didn't start sooner, but that's alright - we are on that path now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I found this group. You did a great thing starting it. Yes, sad we've lost so many.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to WeWriWa! It's a great small group who vets you excerpts and helps promo you writing. I started IWSG when there were about #495 and have managed to work my way down by almost 400! Longevity works. Hey, I have book sale in February . . . I'll email you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great about the new book. You're the one who told me about this group. So glad you did.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are going to be busy! That's always a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to do more with my blog than post once a month, too.
    We also made it to midnight and then fell into bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are another great example of what someone can do later in life and what sticking it out looks like. Despite the roadblocks, you still rock it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. At least I was younger than Grandma Moses when I started my career. LOL

      Delete
  8. It seems as if you're starting 2022 with lots of steam! I love the energy in your post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. Haven't had much energy for a while. It feels good.

      Delete
  9. I think you’re doing amazing so far! Cheers to wonderful 2022 and to having all of our writing dreams come true :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking I need to be blogging more often, as well. Thankfully, IWSG keeps me going at least once a month. I had the same experience joining this group (a bit later than you). I've worked my way up to 64 and I can't imagine ever leaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some people who've left and returned. We can use all the people in this group because of the support.

      Delete
  11. I'm with you on your regret. I have the same: I started writing late in life, but I wish I started sooner.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I regret not joining sooner, but I'm d@mn glad I found the group and all its great participants. I don't know where I'd be without all of you.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just think of all the life experience you gained in that time before writing for publication that you can now apply to your writing. You wouldn't have had that had you started earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like your 2022 is going to be full and fun.
    Thanks for hosting Janet. I loved her memoir.
    Wishing you a happy-writing new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the past 2 years, we could all use some fun. Janet's memoir was so good. Such an inspiration.

      Delete
  15. I don't know what number I started at, but was surprised to see I'm number 21 on the list now! It feels like I was farther down. You've accomplished good things in your life, including parenting.

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having children (and now grandchildren) and staying home with them as they grew is/was the most important thing in my life. I was blessed with a husband who agreed with me.

      Delete
  16. I'm also aiming to do more for my blog this year. I hope all of your blogging goals, and all of your other goals, work out. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I watched the ball drop too, but to be honest, if my kids hadn't been waiting up to see it, I might have skipped it and gone to bed. I'm getting older too.

    I'm beginning to think everyone wished they'd started writing earlier. I think that stems from not knowing how much there is to learn at the beginning.

    Happy 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Ken. I didn't know how much I didn't know at the beginning.

      Delete
  18. Hey, you could have written my blog post. OUr thoughts are almost identical. I keep thinking I'll make more time and do better with my blog and other social media, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, our minds must have met in the ether. LOL I'm doing good so far. Just have 356 days to go. :)

      Delete
  19. Happy New Year, Diane!
    I always say that if I was forced to keep just one platform, I'd choose blogging.
    We don't have control over Facebook, Twitter and Instagram which can all change at the drop of a hat - but your blog is your OWN.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think it matters too much when we start, as long as we do start. Everything leading up to that is experience. Here's to a great 2022!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.