Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Friday, January 28, 2022

My Favorites: Coffee Cake

 


My mother didn't learn to cook until after she was married. Her mother didn't teach her more than stir the pot or heat up whatever. Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook became her bible. She followed recipes to the letter, never deviating, never experimenting. She made sure her daughters learn to cook, when we were young. I sat on the red stepstool next to the stove and stirred pudding--no instant pudding back then. Or I learned to make a white sauce (aka béchamel, according to my chef son), again stirring so as not to have lumps.

Mom was always cutting recipes out of the newspaper, a habit I followed for years. She found one for coffee cake that has become a staple in our home, as well as our daughter's and daughter-in-law's, on Christmas Day.

"Secret" recipes is not in my vocabulary. Others have shared their recipes with me and I do the same. So, here's a favorite recipe from my home to yours.


Streusel Coffee Cake

1 package yellow cake mix

1/4 cup firm butter

1 cup brown sugar (packed)

3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

3 eggs

1  1/2 cups (12 oz) sour cream

Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9x2 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray (or grease and flour the pan). Measure 2/3 cup dry cake mix into small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Mix in brown sugar and walnuts. This will be the topping. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly with fork; stir in sour cream. Blend in remaining dry cake mix, scraping bowl often. (Batter will be thick and slightly lumpy.) Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle half the topping over the batter. Spoon and gently spread remaining batter in pan, top with remaining topping mix. Bake 40-45 minutes at 350°.

 

One time, My daughter-in-law added blueberries. Let me know if you make a variation. I'd love to try it.

Enjoy.

 

2 comments:

  1. I am a recipe sharer, too. My mother-in-law always shared with us...because her Italian mother-in-law refused to share with her...most notably when she left out an ingredient in her meatball recipe. My MOL only learned what it was when she overheard a conversation between her MOL and another woman who were both boasting that their meatballs were better. (The missing ingredient was basil!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would've thought of adding basil to meatballs. Sounds good. My grandmother (mom's mother) didn't use recipes. I stood next to her while she made her "famous" mostaccioli and wrote down the ingredients. Most of her measurements were by taste. LOL I got pretty good at making it. Just as she was always asked to bring that dish to a potluck, it became my job to carry on that tradition.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.