Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, January 22, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: Alex is Ready

 


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thanks to everyone who stopped by last week. I really appreciate your support.

I hope you're doing well and staying healthy. I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This follows immediately after last week's snippet.

Snippet:  

The church was packed. So many people there to watch us tie the knot and to wish us well. Our parents had lived in Far Haven for over forty years. Nick and I had grown up here. I’d never left. Long-time friends, recent ones, and shirttail relatives stood and turned to watch me.

Oh, God, I hoped I wouldn’t trip like I’d done in rehearsal. I clasped my father’s arm.

“Are ye sure you’re wantin’ to do this, darlin’? You can always back out, ye know.” Pop’s exaggerated Irish brogue made me smile. The man was born right here in Michigan, yet he could turn on the Irish in the blink of an eye.

And a little more: 

I gulped. I could do this. Mom had said she’d be watching me from heaven. And I believed her. That was why I wanted to do the big, white wedding thing. Not for me or Maria—dear sweet Maria—but for my mom who couldn’t be here in person. Tears gathered in my eyes. I swallowed hard and blinked several times.

I drew in a breath. “I’m ready.”

To the strains of Pachelbel’s Canon in D, I walked down the aisle, knees shaking, clutching my father’s arm like a lifeline. Until I glanced at my man at the altar. Dear God, what had I done to deserve that ruggedly handsome guy who looked fantastic in a black tux? He’d gotten his hair cut sometime that morning. Last night, the near-black hair had curled over his collar. I loved running my fingers through his dark locks.

Through the white netting of my veil, I could see his grin, as broad as mine. His rich brown eyes shone with love for me. I was truly blessed. Tears shimmered in my vision, and I had to look away before I started bawling.

  

 Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.



16 comments:

  1. "turn on the Irish"! What a great phrase. You paint a lovely, emotional picture with words, Di! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this is such a touching snippet. I love how she's thinking of her mom and wanting to make it special for her to enjoy from heaven. But I'm still waiting for something bad to happen lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such an emotional snippet! Yay, it's finally happening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something has to go dramatically wrong somewhere! You're building up the suspense to breaking point with this perfect picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, so lovely! But I'm with Botanist, afraid the tension is building for some really tragic event or development. But I trust you as an author so I'll keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Wow! Wow! Fantastic scene. I'm teary-eyed. I know...technically this is a do-over, but mentioning her mom and how she said she'd be watching from heaven, and Alex's shaking knees--not to mention that handsome hunk waiting for her. Whew! I'm so glad she didn't trip over her dress. lol. Great writing, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the others. It's too perfect of a day, he's too perfect of a guy. Somehow, the other shoe is about to drop. Just a hunch. Great snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful description. So tender and emotional. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine. Exactly how I hoped readers would see it.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.