Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Friday, January 21, 2022

My Favorites: Scene From a Favorite Movie


 credit: IMDB

I could never name my favorite movie. Too many are favorites. The closest I can come to that is a favorite scene from a favorite movie.

The other day my husband was watching a World War II flick with James Cagney. He played Admiral Halsey. I’m not into war movies, but that got me thinking about my favorite Cagney movie. Yankee Doodle Dandy, the story of George M. Cohan. Released in 1942, it was a patriotic movie. 

My favorite scene comes near the end of the movie. Cohan is getting on in years, gray-haired and slower in his walk. He’s been invited to the Oval Office, where he’s given the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Franklin Roosevelt. The President expounds on all Cohan has done for the country, the inspiring songs—"Over There” and “Yankee Doodle Dandy” to name just two. Although Cohan has done his duty for his country, Roosevelt asks for his help again. That so inspires Cohan, and invigorates him, as he leaves he dances down the curving staircase to the tune of “Yankee Doodle Dandy.”

Side note: After writing this post, I checked IMDB to make sure I had facts right. The top review lists this same scene as her/his favorite, even goes on about Cagney’s dancing talent. Glad I read that after writing this or you’d think I copied. 😊


James Cagney as George M. Cohan  (credit: IMDB)

James Cagney was known for gangster movies. Most people didn’t realize that he grew up in vaudeville, like George M. Cohan. And like Cohan, he was a song-and-dance man. Could that man dance! He won his only Oscar for Yankee Doodle Dandy, the first actor to win the Best Actor Award in a musical.

I’m going to start searching all the channels to find Yankee Doodle Dandy. Can’t wait to watch it again.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I learned something new from this blog post. Actually several new things. I'm like you--in that I could never pick a favorite movie. Just one?? Oh my. I do have a top ten. The bottom 3 or 4 tend to change from time to time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love musicals. But I like action adventure, too. And rom-coms. Oh, dear. No way I could name a fav.

      Delete
  2. I've always loved Jimmy Cagney and especially this particular movie. I can still remember words from some of the songs. (Our local TV station when I was a kid streamed this one frequently.) Fun blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica. As I wrote the post, several songs ran through my mind. Lovely.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.