Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

#WeWriWa ~ The Case of the Wedding Wrecker: A Perfect Day


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors, where writers share snippets from their work-in-progress or new release. Thanks to everyone who stopped by last week. I really appreciate your support.

I hope you're doing well and staying healthy. As if we don't have enough on our plates at this time of year with flu, we have a resurgence of covid cases filling up our hospitals. If you haven't gotten vaccinated and boosted, please do so right away. Don't become a statistic.

That was my public safety announcement for the week. 😊

 I'm sharing snippets from the 4th Alex O'Hara cozy mystery, The Case of the Wedding Wrecker. This follows immediately after last week's snippet.


Snippet: 

We trooped downstairs where a limo awaited us, a black vehicle with room for two in back. Dottie and Ellen drove off together while Maria and I rode to the church in the limo. “General” Maria had thought of everything. Thank God, she was so organized.

Several people waited outside St. Mark’s. They clapped and cheered as I exited the limo—gracefully, I might add, though I had to hike up the slim skirt. My two besties, who’d managed to beat us to the church, ran over to help me out. Considering the enthusiastic well-wishers waiting for me, I couldn’t help grinning. I even waved, no stilted “Queen” turning of the hand, but a genuine, enthusiastic wave. God, I felt great. What a perfect day.


A little more:  

Abby—self-appointed wedding planner—directed the bridesmaids into place. Dottie’s boys, ages five and a half and three, my ring bearers, wore tiny tuxes. Correction. They were ring masters, according to the five-year-old. Dottie’s toddler, my goddaughter, was the flower girl. Dottie and Ellie looked lovely in their sky-blue halter dresses. Even the color of baby Emmy’s dress matched her mother’s.

Everything was perfect.

Ellie led the procession with the boys behind her, holding their baby sister’s hands between them. At the halfway mark, Emmy dashed back to her mother who carried her the rest of the way. Then the music changed, and the fanfare announced . . . me.

Holy shit. It was my turn.

 

Be sure to check out the other WeWriWa authors. Stay safe and have a great week.




22 comments:

  1. So much 'perfect' always makes me nervous - especially with these characters. I'm holding my breath until the vows are finalized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same as Nancy. Everything seems to be going too well. I hope the day goes off without a hitch, but I still worry for these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with other comments. The set-up is too perfect. What's going to go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I'm willing to believe the day will remain perfect. You describe the scene so beautifully. Feels like we're all invited to join in the celebrations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. That's exactly how I want the readers to feel.

      Delete
  5. Ah, cliffhanger...because I feel like something is about to go terribly wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Holy shit." lol. That sounds just like Alex!

    You've written this series so well, I feel like I know these characters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Now all that attention is on her! Great excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - that's what I felt like at my wedding. Suddenly it was all about me! I understand how she feels.

    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything sounds perfect so far. I hope nothing changes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The day seems perfect. Love all the descriptions! However, the title of the book concerns me! Can't wait for the next snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandson informed us he was the "ring bear" so on the big day the bride and groom bought him a bear tie tack and he was thrilled. Enjoyed the snippet and all the details! Who doesn't love a wedding?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute, Veronica. When my grandson was 3, he was the ring bearer who declared he was the ring master. I had to use that.

      Delete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.